No Say, No Way

Kayla's P.O.V

I walk into the Counselor's office and wait to be called. A short old lady comes out from behind the front desk and motions for me to go into the back room.
" Hi Ms. Jones how are you doing today?" I nod as if to say alright. She waits to see if I respond but when I don't she continues on.
" Well as you know we have a celebrity student attending here, but even with his famous status he needs to learn the rules and regulations of this highschool. You are one of the top students here and I think you'll be a more than great example for Lucas to follow as the school year goes on. That means I expect you to show him around school. Make sure he is on time and paying attention in class. And most importantly be a friend to him... He's been through a lot over the past year and I'm sure you two could relate in more ways than one".
My body tenses up when she says this. Who does she think she is! Putting me in charge of this boy because she thinks because we've gone through hard times that we'll become the best of friends. SKRRRTTT! I think not!!
I shake my head no.
" Ms. Jones, I'm afraid everything has been arranged. Plus the principal hand picked you himself to do this job. You should feel proud that he trusts you with a responsibility such as this". I sigh and nod my head. It seems like I have no say so as usual.
" Thank you Ms. Jones, I'll call Lucas so you guys could get more familiar with each other before lunch." We both walk out and she calls a security guard to tell him to bring Lucas to Counselor's office. He finally walks in and smiles when he sees me.
" Nice to meet you shorty, I guess your going to be my new Bestfriend". He sticks his hand out like I'm suppose shake it. I think not. I roll my eyes and walk right past him into the hallway. The lunch bell rings. He runs after me and catches up. I can feel the stares and the whispers of the other kids in the hallway as I make my way to my locker. " Why is he with squeak"? " Its no way they could be walking together." I look up at him beside me. He seems to not even notice what those around us are saying. Finally we reach my locker.
" So you just not gone say a word. You gone treat me like I'm invisible or are you gonna say something to me lil dude", he says to me while I'm grabbing my lunch out of my locker. I shake my head yes as if to say, " Yes I'm not saying a word to you". He sighs and pulls out his phone. But before he could unlock it I snatch it away from him.
" Hold up shorty, give me back my phone". I shake my head no and point to the sign, nodding towards it so he can read what it says.

  Cell phones are NOT permitted under any circumstances during the school day. If your cell phone is seen or heard, the cellular device will be confiscated. The phone will be returned only if a parental guardian comes to retrieve the phone.

" Good lookin", Lucas said as he put his phone away. I pointed to my lunch to say , " Do you have a lunch if not you need to go get one from the cafeteria". He looks at me for a moment, thinking probably.
" Uhh yeah , I have a lunch it's in my locker let me go get it right quick". I nod as he runs down the hall. He's smart; he figured out what I was saying. Turning on my heel, I hear a voice call my name. Taylor.
" GIRL, SO YOU WAS THE ONE CHOSEN TO BE LUCAS'S GUIDE YOU LUCKY AS HELL MAN!" I laugh at her excitement. But I roll my eyes in a playful way as if to say , " Girl I don't want to do this; I'd happily give you this position if I could". She reads my facial expression and laughs.
" Girl I think your the best person for this job anyways, plus you never know he just might become your boo thang bihhhh". Then she starts sing that Verse Simmons and Kelly Rowland song. I laugh at her as she continues to dance. I like this girl for some reason. I'm just wondering what God's plan is. Just this morning I was crying thinking of my Mom. Now I'm somewhat communicating and I made a new friend. And I got chose to be " Mr. Famous's" guide for the year. I Snap out of my train of thought when Taylor slaps me on the head.
" Nigga stop day dreaming here comes Lucas, act natural". She leans on the locker and almost falls before Lucas finally makes it to us.
" Hey, I'm Kay...." . I hit her in the arm before she could finish. I don't want him to know my name. He doesn't need to know it. I look at her trying to communicate that I don't want her to tell him my name. She looks confused.
" Wassup, a friend of lil shorty is a friend of mine. What you say your name was again?"
" It's Taylor but you can call me Tay". They smiled and shook hands.
" Well I'll leave you two to go eat lunch. See you later." She walked off, then turned around to wink at me. I playfully rolled my eyes at her.
Turning on my heels I started to walk up the stairs toward the rooftop garden where I always eat.
" Aye fam, why we not eating in the cafeteria?" I turn back and look at him as if to say, " YOU can go and eat in there, I'm straight". Then I keep walking and he still follows behind me. I open the door to the garden and walk in. This is my absolute favorite place to be. So refreshing. So peaceful. I go sit on the bench by the white roses. Opening my lunch I begin to eat. Lucas watches me carefully as I eat my food.
" Aye?" I decide I should speak to him. Trying to communicate him in a way other than talking is making my head hurt.
" Yes?"
" Oh so you can speak now huh". I roll my eyes.
" Yes I can, what do want?"
" Why don't you talk, that's kind of weird". I tense up a little.
" It's none of your concern obviously, I speak when I feel like it. If I had a choice not to speak to you I wouldn't. But since I'm stuck with you for the rest of the year I have no choice. Any more questions?" He smirks a little and coughs.
" Attitude, I can get rid of an attitude real quick".
" Can you just eat and not talk?"
" Damn who pissed in your cheerios this morning lil dude". I rolled my eyes, faced the other way and continued to eat.
" Aye shorty?"
" What."
" Turn around ,for a minute". Sighing I turn around. Almost dropping my food bowl I scoot back away from him. He was right in my face.
" You got some pretty eyes". I didn't say anything I was still shook that he was so close. I felt myself blushing.
" See I told you I get rid of attitudes lil ma". The bell signaling for our normal block classes rung. I got up and start to make my way to my next class.
" Do you know what class you have next?", I ask before I leave him.
" Yeah I got History, I can find It". Nodding I turn on my heels and walk towards my Algebra class.
" See you later shorty", I hear him say but I  don't turn around to reply. I was ready for this day to be over already.