Back to Hogwarts

Harry Potter sat silently in his chair, wistfully staring at the dust covered walls of Grimmauld Place.

The beginning of a new Hogwarts school year was rapidly approaching. Harry didn't want to go to school, and frankly he didn't have to either. But the boy who lived found himself in a rather unusual predicament.

He was bored, really bored.

Harry didn't know what to do with himself.

All summer Ron had been away, visiting his brother Charlie in Romania. He and Hermione would hang out every now and then, bit their conversations had a nasty habit of becoming shockingly unintelligent at an alarming rate.

For example, two weeks ago the two had gone to Hogsmeede to wander around and shop a little.

As soon as they arrived at Hogsmeede their conversation went as such:

"Hey Hermione, apparently someone broke into the potions lab at Hogwarts a few days ago"

"I heard something like that, yeah"

"Snape should put a life-sized model of himself in the lab, then anyone who tries to break in gets scared out of their mind."

"That's actually a pretty great idea!"

"Yeah, I try to have good ideas.
Not bad ones.
Bad ideas are bad, no one likes those because they're um....
Ungood..."

"Oh, is that how it works...?"

"Yes..."

Harry and Hermione had stayed silent the rest of the trip. Harry found no satisfaction in awkwardly sitting in silence because he just made himself sound like a moron.

He recalled how Hermione had told him about her decision to finish up her seventh year at Hogwarts.

Honestly, if Hermione hadn't decided to go back to Hogwarts it would have been a big enough shock to shake the Daily Prophet off of their diamond studded pedestal of lies.

Harry, however, had more reason to avoid school.

The thought of having to see his ex girlfriend, Ginny, was enough to make him dread stepping foot on campus.

On the other hand, he was practically rotting, sitting in the same place every single day isn't considered healthy anywhere.

Harry sighed, padded up the creaky stairs, and started packing his bags.
______________________________

Draco Malfoy was disgusted. Absolutely revolted.

At this point he could be called boarder line depressed with nearly 89% certainty. However numbers meant nothing to Draco, all he knew was that he was scum.

He had betrayed an entire school just because his parents had called him. His parents, he loathed being in the same house as his parents.

Last he heard his father had arranged that the Malfoys stay secluded in the house for years. Years! He would be trapped for years! All because his parents were cowards!

Gently, he pulled up his sweater sleeve, and stared once again at the hideous mark.

Every black line, every intricate detail reminded him that there was no going back. That putrid mark defined who he was. No one would be willing to see Draco because of the mark on his forearm. All they would see is a Death Eater. A traitor.

Draco had stayed cooped up in his room for who knows how long and he realized that he couldn't hide forever.

He placed and ear to his door and when no sound could be heard, he slowly pushed the door open.

To his great horror and dismay, Lucius Malfoy stood there staring him directly in the eyes. Draco froze.

It took him a painfully long to realize that what he was staring at wasn't his father, but his own reflection in a mirror in the hallway.

Draco's displeasure only increased. His hair had grown slightly past his shoulders and the resemblance he now held to his monster of a father was unsettling.

That was it. He couldn't stand the thought of staying in that dreadful mansion another day. He would rather risk being shunned and face the rage of his classmates than let himself be eaten from the inside out.

He pulled his long hair into a short ponytail and started packing.