Chapter 31 | The Box of Books

THE BOX OF BOOKS

Fresh snow falls in soft flakes from the darkening sky, as daylight begins to fade away.

Smoke billows from the chimneys.

Warm, yellow light splashes from the windows onto the footpaths of Oxford Street. 

The cold slithers under my Christmas jumper even though I walk with my arms tightly crossed against my chest. My scarf whips around with the wind tunnelling through the street and my beanie is my head's only protection against the cold. With hands tucked under my armpits, I look to Ryden who walks along the street, like it's just any ordinary day. 

He walks with long and meaningful strides, and I have to subtly catch up to him in my huddled state. After this morning's sunrise, I had hoped that perhaps we would get some nice weather for our stay in London; after all, this is the perfect opportunity to ride the London Eye with Ryden. 

Cameron, Emma, Ryden and I arrived in London not two hours ago. We had checked into the Springfield Hotel; I taking one room, mostly to myself, while Emma and Cameron shared another room, a few doors down. Our publisher had rung me while I was unpacking and he told me that he had to go home early due a bad case of the flu, and that he would leave a package with our books in it by the front desk. 

I decided to walk over with Ryden, after all, it was only a forty minute walk, and I kind of liked the idea of being able to walk and just browse while I'm at it. Well, that had been my idea... Ryden was determined to get this box of books and so his idea was to walk as fast as we possibly could in order to get to the publishing place as soon as possible. I think Ryden's biggest fear at that moment was the thought of the place closing for the night and him not being to get the books over the weekend, as they were closed. 

So twenty minutes later, I walk next to, or attempt to, a determined Ryden, along Oxford Street. 

"Slow down!" I hiss at Ryden. He turns to me for a second before rolling his eyes. 

"I told you that I want to get in before they close," he says for the millionth time. I jog a little to be side by side with him and look down at my wristwatch. I roll my eyes and jab him in the side. 

"You moron. It's four o'clock. You've got an hour and a half before the place closes," I tell him. He doesn't slow down so I take a handful of his sweater. Ryden almost falls over himself as I hold him against his will. He turns to me and frowns. 

"Let go Lucy," he says, peeling my fingers off of his sweater.

My hand comes free but I keep him in place by holding him by his shoulders. I poise myself on my tiptoes and look at him straight on. 

"Calm down Ryden. I know this means a lot to you, but just... relax for a second. After all, we are basically on a mini holiday," I tell him. He frowns, looking down and I sigh, landing back on flat feet.

I let my hands slide down his arms until I reach his fingers. I intertwine my fingers with his and he takes hold of my hands. Looking up at him again, I smile. 

"Let's just take our time, maybe even have a look at some shops, pick up the books and then make our way back to the hotel, alright? Just take things nice and easy," I tell him, but he's still frowning. I drop my smile.

"London isn't the safest place in the dark for a teenage girl all by herself," Ryden suddenly says. He let's go of my hands and steps back. 

"C'mon, let's go," he says, before turning back around and walking again. 

I stand in the middle of the sidewalk for a little while, trying to figure out what Ryden just said. I look around at the people walking past and realise two things.