Chapter 3 | Ryden

RYDEN

 The car shakes and rattles as we drive down the tiny country road. Up ahead, I can see the church where the funeral is taking place. While Noah drives, I keep getting the feeling of a presence behind me. Continually, I crane my neck to look behind into the back seat. I don't know exactly what I'm expecting to find back there but I can't ease my paranoia. 

 Noah notices my strange behaviour. 

 "Lucy, are you sure that you're okay?" he asks, and I turn to face him, "If you're not up to it, you don't have to go this guys' funeral tonight you know. I'm sure the family will understand," Noah says.

 "No, I'm fine Noah, just got this weird feeling is all," I reply as we slow down, nearing the old church.

 "If you say so. You got your phone? Just call me and I'll pick you up if you need," he offers.

 From my handbag I take out the second hand mobile phone and show him. He nods. We pull up out the front of the church steps. Through the window, I stare up at the steeple, the stained glass illuminated by the soft glow of lights from inside. For a few moments, I gaze up at the church, as if mesmerized and the rain outside continues to fall in sheets.

 "Are you going to go in?" Noah asks me. I take a deep, shaky, breath.

 "I... I think so," I start, looking to Noah for support, "Well, I guess it'll be good to go, you know, try to put an end to this whole saga," I finish, attempting to convince myself more than anyone else.

 "It's worth a shot," he says with a smile and a shrug.

 With one more deep breath in and out, I open the umbrella and the car door. I step out into the rain, closing the door behind me. With one more glance to Noah, I wave and he returns it before driving away.  I watch the lights from his car disappear into the night before I face the obstacle before me.

 Looking up at the church, I bite my lip, unsure as to what I expect to happen. I shake the nerves out of me and stare the church head on. 

 "It's only a funeral Lucy, how bad can it be?" I ask myself, hoping that these aren't my famous last words.

 One step at a time, I proceed to walk up the long set of steps to the church doors. The rain beats against the umbrella I grasp tightly and wind knocks me about.

 In my useless heels, I lose my footing on the slippery stone and am knocked back. But before I can find myself in freefall, something catches me. 

 Placed back on my own two feet, I whip around to thank my saviour. But my heart drops when there's nothing but the cold night behind me. I begin to wonder if I imagined it, but I slowly reach back and touch my mid-back, the place where I swear I had been caught by a hand. The sensation is still there... I frown, looking down at the ground, confusion washing over me. 

 Unsure of what is happening to me, I shake my head and continue up the steps. I take things nice and easy this time around. Inside the church foyer, I shake the excess water off of my umbrella before closing it up. 

 Before I go in to take my seat, I dip two of my fingers into the holy water. While I make the sign of cross, once again I feel the sensation on my middle-back. I spin around of the spot and find no one standing there. In fact, I'm completely alone in the foyer. I stand there, by the holy water and search the area with my eyes. 

 Inside, I can hear a soft song being played on the piano and this contrasts to the loud sound of the rain outside. I can't hear any footsteps, no giggling or murmuring. There really is no one around.