Chapter 25 | The Plan

THE PLAN

Ryden didn't come back after our quarrel. It made me wonder where he went when he wasn't with me, and it also made me wonder how I could make him come back; rather than what needed to be done. Obviously I was going to have to step up my game... but how... 

Lying in bed, I stare up at my origami birds: my mind searching for a way to get Christopher's book done quicker. All we had done so far is figure out the plot, and the first week would be over before we knew it.

Rolling onto my side I start thinking about people who might be able to help. 

Cameron would help; I think, he'd be more than eager to do anything to get Ryden to leave for good.

The only problem is that I don't think Cameron is very creative...  but did the book have to be good? Or would getting it to a point of completion without it actually needing to be published be good enough for Ryden?

I let out an exasperated sigh, my eyes wondering to the window. Getting up I walk over to the window seat and sit against the wall, holding my knees to my chest. Outside its sunny and in a neighbouring field I can see some sheep munching on the grass. On the horizon I can see the steeple of the church; the same one Ryden's funeral had taken place in. 

Part of me regrets having not just holding it out and going to the funeral. But another part also thanks me for making the decision to leave. Thinking about it now, I would have never been around to the Ryden's house by Neola, nor learnt the Christopher is writing a book. I may have never had my encounter with the Keeper.

Having the Keeper always watching over Ryden and I's activity is and isn't comforting. At least I know my limits... which, at the moment are very simple; don't get too close to Ryden Mitchells. But at the same time, I have to choose. Please the Keeper and stop Ryden from completing his list properly, or please Ryden and help him to move on from his nightmare. 

One way I do exactly what the Keeper wants; stop Ryden and destroy my relationship with him. The other... well it just isn't possible to help Ryden without the probability that the two of us are going to get close. Heck, I already have strong feelings for him, whether or not it all works the same way with a dead boy involved, I don't know. 

I have to make a decision; that, I do know. I have to make a lot of decisions. 

At school the next day, I walk in with my intentions clear; recruit Cameron and Emma to help me, help Ryden, to move on. I'm still not feeling one hundred percent, but I have a plan that I need to put to action.

Melanie is at her locker when I arrive. She's by herself and I use the locker door as a shield between her and myself. It's probably best not to get into any more arguments. Ryden still hasn't returned, but I haven’t really had time to worry too much about his whereabouts; working on a mind map all of yesterday afternoon and figuring out how to execute my plans. 

Stuffing my bag inside and taking out my books, I close the locker door again. Melanie's gone. 

I go to my classes as usual and when the morning periods are over, I return to my locker and take out a muesli bar for recess. It turns out that Johanna has decided to start making my lunches for me as well. I think that she just does it to piss me off and treat me like a kid; I can tell that there's not much love put into my peanut butter sandwich. I guess she's forgotten that I despise peanut butter.

Walking through the hallways alone, I look for Cameron's usual group of friends. It's a cloudy day outside, but dry, so I decide to look out by the fence. I figure that I could just text him, but it's not like we have that much catching up to do to organise a recess together.