Prologue

A pair of feet walked briskly down a hallway. They weren't in any sort of rhythm, nor could they keep from stepping all over each other. The owner was clearly not used to walking very often. They entered a room whose door opened automatically as they approached it. They walked up to a metal-framed bed, where the man looked down upon a blue hedgehog, squirming uncomfortably. The poor thing would still be thrashing about if the man hadn't strapped him down.

"Don't worry little one, the pain will be gone soon." He grabbed the gloved hand and raised it up, sticking the needle deep into the peach arm. The hedgehog winced and whimpered quietly, but ceased movement within just a few seconds.

The man slumped into the chair seated beside the bed with a lazy sigh. "Bokkun!" He called.

"YES SIR?" The little robot beamed, walking up to the chair with a salute.

"Gah, Bokkun! You're so loud and obnoxious!" The man growled. "Bring me a pad and a pen."

"RIGHT AWAY, SIR!" The robot beamed again before running off.

"I told you not to-- Ah, what's the use.."

The little devilish robot brought a pad and a pen and handed it out to the man. The man cursed under his breath and jotted down a few sentences in cursive, folded it neatly, and handed it back to the robot. The robot looked at it and whined in disappointment.

"Awww, what! No exploding tele?"

His master, frustrated anyway, growled. "Silence! Just do as I say! You know where to take that, so go."

"YES SIR!" Bokkun chimed with a salute. He stopped and went to the hedgehog, raising up on what would be its toes, if it had any beneath those metal boots, and poked the hedgehog's peach cheek. "Is he.. dead?"

"No.. He's trapped in a world where we cannot reach him."

Bokkun stared at the face of the creature, who now lay there peacefully, as though he were asleep. But still, something felt artificial about it all. As though the creature was neither really dead, nor asleep, yet at the same time, not awake. Whatever was causing him to be in that state was not by a natural occurrence. It wasn't the way his master slept. It wasn't the way he slept (if powering off was considered sleeping). He wondered what had happened, and what was going to happen; but he obeyed his master and left, nonetheless. He was only a messenger, after all.

His master was left sitting there, weaving a small chain between his fingers. He opened his hand to see the pendent in his palm: a dazzling green gem. His gaze lifted and landed on the hedgehog lying before him. The temptation was strong. But he knew he shouldn't.

..Right?