Chapter 7 - Christmas At The Potters'

I wake up on the last day of term feeling invigorated.  Nothing dampens my mood all day, not even when I'm given a detention from Filch for smiling too broadly.  I know I'll go to Potter Mansion later this evening, so I don't even have to do the detention!

I am called forward with the other students leaving for the holidays and are told that the train is waiting. We get on the train and it takes us to King's Cross where parents and guardians are waiting.

I almost instantly spot the Potters standing near the barrier. I smile and as soon as the train stops I jump off to greet them. "Stacie!" Julie says in greeting. "It's wonderful to see you again!"

We embrace for a moment, and I pull away, grinning. "James, Remus, Sirius, and Peter are on their way," I tell her. As if on cue, they exit the train and join us. We walk through the barrier and hail the Knight Bus to take us to the Potters' house.

***

Christmas morning has me waking up to a pile of presents at least a foot tall at the foot of my bed. I jump out and start eagerly opening gifts. The first, from Julie, is a batch of homemade gingerbread cookies. James gives me a copy of Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp.

From Sirius, I get a really neat set of books that had loads of jinxes and hexes for rule breaking. Peter gets me a large box of chocolate, and Remus gives me a new set of quills and rainbow color changing ink.

I see that Richard gives me a copy of The Tales of Beedle The Bard, a book filled with wizarding bedtime stories. The unique thing about the book, however, is that it has the original stories, which is really difficult to come by.

Breakfast is a cheery ordeal, with huge, glittering Christmas trees in each corner, and golden Christmas baubles floating around the kitchen. Everyone has fun, singing carols and exchanging glances that obviously say that we're planning some hilarious pranks.

Too soon, however, term is about to start. We are hustled to the train with not much time to say goodbye. We get a cabin together and sit talking. "I think we should show Snivellus his place," Sirius says angrily after Snape shows up at the cabin and gives us an evil smirk before walking away.

"Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing, mate," James agrees.

"So do I!" Peter squeaks.

So we begin plotting ways to put him in his place. I get out my hex book and we all practice on each other until we are adept at the best ones.

"Tarantellegra!" I say, pointing my wand at James.

"Finite," mutters Remus to cure James.

"Well, I think that's enough for now," I announce.

The rest of the trip is spent in discussing the best ways to prank the Slytherins without getting caught. "I think we should shrink the door so that none of them can get in," Sirius suggests.

"But none of us know how to do that yet," I point out.

"That's where you are wrong, my misinformed friend. I know how," he replies.

"Okay, then, so we won't get caught?"

"I don't find it likely."

"Good."

***

We arrive in the Great Hall to find students still sitting at the tables playing wizard chess and Exploding Snap.

We, however, go upstairs to the common room to have a bit of extra studying. From this side of the holidays, exams seem much closer. Eventually, though, we give up. "I'm never going to be able to study in here!" I exclaim angrily.

I toss the book on the floor and fling myself backwards onto the couch. I don't know why I'm being so melodramatic, but I just ignore it.

We finally all get upstairs for bed, but it's not drowsiness that sends me to sleep.  It's the rhythmic snoring from a fellow Gryffindor that lulls me.