Chapter 15: Pressure

Start from the beginning

Jughead frowned upon recognizing him, and then looked at me. I was just a deer in the headlights. I couldn't believe that he and I were in the same room at the same time. I felt scared again, just like that rainy night as I saw his silhouette in front of the flash of lightning. I had to blink a few times to make sure it was him.

"Come here," Jughead whispered to me, even though he was right beside me.

I scooted closer to him, snapping out of my daze. He put his arm around me, resting his head on mine; my head rested on his shoulder.

I saw Derek take a double glance and Jughead and I with his bloodshot brown eyes. I started faking a laugh—a weak one— before kissing Jughead's cheek. I proceeded to whisper into Jughead's ear while looking at Derek.

"The joke is, I'm never gonna take him back. I don't want him jealous. I want him to suffer."

Derek huffed angrily upon seeing us. Pop's gave him a cup of coffee, which he snatched right up and slammed the door open with a rough shove. The bells jingled violently before he was gone as quickly as he came.

I returned to my original spot, a small distance away from him and sat up straight. Jughead's ears and cheeks were bright red.

"Thanks for that," I anxiously laughed. "I hope you didn't mind me taking it a step further."

He quickly shook his head. "Not at all," he gave a light sheepish laugh. Quickly, he changed the topic after clearing his throat. "We should go. We might be late to school."

I took a couple of last bites of my blueberry pancakes and then stood up, tossing my money on the counter per usual.

Jughead and I left Pop's and walked to school. As soon as we got there, the bell rang.

。♡  。

During all of first period, I stared at Catherine. I didn't mean to come off as a creep, but she was like a beautiful work of art that had several meanings, depending on the person.

That was the thing. I didn't know what she meant to me, which was exactly why I was staring.

Yes, I liked Catherine a lot, but did she like me?

That was the question that lingered in my mind as I hopelessly stared. I doubted ever having a chance with her. I was weird.

Not only was I weird, but I had the spine of a worm. I was an outcast, a loser, a shrimp in the great sea. Why would she ever want to date me?

Lunch rolled around, and I was at the table with our circle. Catherine eagerly talked about some pictures she took and went into detail about her editing. I listened of course, but I was mesmerized by her lips moving, her blue eyes looking at everyone dead in the eye.

Archie nudged me, and I snapped out of my daze. He just grinned at me, before continuing to listen to what she was saying.

After school, I had finished walking Catherine home. We planned on meeting each other at Pop's later on with Betty, Veronica, and Archie.

Although that was the plan, Archie invited me over to his place for video games. I agreed, knowing I had nothing else to do but my novel, which could wait.

I walked over to his house, knocking on his door like every other night I had. Fred opened the door and simply sighed: "Upstairs," knowing why I was there.

"Hello to you too, Mr. Andrews," I replied, lightly joking around.

He scoffed with a hint of laughter. "Sorry, Jug. It's been a long day."