Chapter 14: Realization

Start from the beginning

Watch out!

- Serpents"

I set down the note, blankly staring at the pillow in front of me. I was deep in thought, wondering what they could take from me. I began to worry about Jughead.

"Juggy, I'm scared," I honestly told him.

"Don't be," he told me, taking my hands. He sat down beside me and I squeezed his. "I'll tell my dad about this and it will be all over."

I nodded and sat on the couch in disbelief.

"Look," he told me. "Let's go to bed and I'll get on it tomorrow. Don't think too much about it," he assured me with a supportive hand on the shoulder. I gave a gentle nod, looking up at him. Jughead placed my arm around his neck and helped me out of the couch. Quietly, we slowly made it up the steps and into my room. He placed his hand on my back, a supportive gesture to help me lay down. He stood up and turned away, about to go downstairs and sleep on the couch, until I grabbed his sleeve.

Jughead turned to me, but instead of looking confused he gave a strange stare. I can only describe it as gentle, his eyebrows raised slightly as he stared, eager for me to say something.

"Don't go," was what came out of my mouth. I nearly pleaded with him. "Please?"

Instead of joking around like he would normally, he nodded and softly said: "I'm just going to turn off the lights."

He did exactly that, and each time a light would dim, I'd become giddy. It meant that he was closer to coming to bed. Once every light was off, and the whole house was dark, he appeared in the doorway, to which we both awkwardly smiled at each other. He turned the last light off—my bedroom light—and crawled into bed with me. Instead of having a pillow between us or one of us sleeping on the blanket and the other sleeping under it, we were close. He had his arm around me and I slung my arm around his waist.

I didn't know what to call us quite yet, but I felt safe.

↳Sunday

Nov. 13↵

I woke up to the door opening downstairs, and I quickly moved my hand over to Jughead, only to find an empty space. There was a note on my stomach, which I quickly grabbed and stuffed in my shirt.

"Catherine?" I heard Kevin grunt from below.

"Coming!" I hollered, rushing out of bed. I was gentle with my ankle, making sure to be careful rushing down the stairs.

I looked to find Kevin helping Veronica and Betty bring in the coffee table, which looked almost identical to the other one.

They brought it to the empty spot in the middle of the living room, even placing it into the carpet marks so it would be exactly as it would be left.

"Jeez. He really did that," Kevin looked at my face in shock, to which Betty jabbed him with her elbow for.

"Where's Jughead?" Veronica asked, wiping the sweat from her brow.

I shrugged, wondering myself. "He left," was all I could say.

"So are you both endgame?" Kevin eagerly asked me, eyes wide with excitement.

Betty nudged him again, suggesting that it shouldn't be talked about. Veronica looked at me still expecting a reply.