Throwing It All Away

Dear Diary,

Boy was it a hectic day! It all started this morning when my alarm didn’t go off and I woke up 30 minutes late. I ran to shower, get dressed and ready for school before rushing to the hospital. I had missed rounds so I headed down to the ER to catch some action before school.

 All of a sudden Jo and Steph burst in carrying a baby saying that they found him in a box. I watched as Arizona checked the kid out, finding scars from previous cardiac surgeries. I still can’t understand how anyone could just leave an infant in a box by the dumpster to die. The chaos escalated when Steph accidentally ran a gurney into Arizona who fell and consequently broke her prosthetic leg. I hurried over to make sure she was okay but she was already being helped up. Luckily she had a spare leg she could use for the day; even though it doesn’t fit quite as well she said it was better than nothing until the other was fixed.

After all the commotion I realized that if I didn’t leave then, and hurry at that, I was going to be late for school. With just my luck there was a car broken down in the middle of the road causing a big traffic jam and me to be late for first period. Once I finally got to school, 10 minutes after the bell, I walked into my physics class to be handed a pop quiz. Just great, that was exactly what I needed. After my quiz the rest of the school day wasn’t all that bad.

I headed back to the hospital after school and sat in the gallery to do some homework as they prepped the OR for surgery. As it turned out the surgery was a peds case, the one that Alex was kicked off of. During the operation Alex came into the gallery to watch his patient and the procedure he came up with, both of which I heard all about. I finished the lab report I had been working on at about the same time they finished the operation, so I headed back down to see what else was going on.

I ran into April who kept getting approached by the friend of Jo’s brain dead organ donor. As it turns out he has donated a kidney to his friend, and wanted to get it back. April was telling me how she had tried explaining to him all day that they can’t just return organs, and they guy kept insisting that it belonged to him and that he should be able to get it back. It was pretty amusing to watch this guy trying to win back his kidney, but it was a little creepy at the same time.

I saw Arizona changing the gauze pad on her leg in the attending’s lounge so I stopped in to chat for a little while. She told me about how she had a mandatory meeting with HR earlier in the day and that the anonymous complaint had come from Leah Murphy. I told her that I doubted she could actually have any sort of case against Arizona but she stopped me to say that the complaint was filed against Callie. It seemed like she didn’t have much else to say on the topic so I changed the subject. We walked to the peds wing as we chatted. I laughed as she told me that Stephanie had accidentally hit Jackson with a gurney. We proceded to talk about Sofia and how big she is and all the cute things she's done lately and so on.

As I was roaming the hospital I got a text from my mom saying that she was coming home early, so I grabbed my stuff and headed home. It had been a while since I got to spend actual time with my mom. We made dinner together, grilled chicken and a Greek salad, and talked until late in the night. Well that brings me to now. I’m going to go set a backup alarm and head to sleep.

-          Mattie