Chapter 12

As I walk into the classroom the next day, I gasp. The desks has been moved around! I put my hand in my hair in frustration. How could the teacher do this to me now! The teacher has put the classroom into single rows. I am in the second column, third row. And of all people I sit behind, it's Christopher. How can my luck go from good to bad so fast? I sigh and shuffle to my desk, nevertheless, and dump my books out of my bag. After, I go into the closet and put away my bag and coat.

I see Dominic and wave. He does the same. I smile and walk out of the closet. By the time I reach my desk, Dominic is coming out and walking over to his desk. He sits down and I realize that he is two seats away from me sideways. He's in the last column, next to the window.

I want to say hi to him again, so that's when I see that near him is the bookshelf. There are no books in it, but on top of it is a rack. On the rack is paper. I figure that sometime during class I can stroll over get a piece of paper and say hi to Dominic, or I can pass a note. I laugh at the idea in my head. When I glance at Dominic's direction I can see him staring at me. I wave and smile. What else can I do right now? Suddenly the bell rings and everyone takes their seat.

After the announcements we pick up our books and head to our classes. Math is fun, with casual staring at Dominic and him staring back at me. He is really cute. I'm not saying this because he's going out with me. He really is cute. When science comes I become sooooo excited. Dominic sits behind me and now that we're boyfriend and girlfriend maybe we can have more fun!

During the whole class we draw and try to write notes to each other. Although the teacher sometimes catches us, she knows somehow we are still paying attention. Soon the class is over and English comes to set. English is okay. I try to steal discreet glances at Dominic. He can't stare at me back, but just looking at him takes my breath away. I still pay attention in class though and try to understand the class.

This year is going just swell in English. I mean I am a really good writer and know the rules of grammar, but saying the answers out loud to a nun, scares me. Everyone call her really mean and super strict. When Brian, the kid who got expelled, talked back to her, he stood up to her. Yeah, he got a detention, but the class finally knew how strict she really is. I try very hard to be perfect in her class, but it's very hard. I'm not perfect, you know.

Finally the bell rings and it's time for Literature. The math teacher teaches Literature too, and its the same room. Sadly the seating is the same. In the class, we are reading Romeo & Juliet. I get bothered by this play very much. In my opinion the story plot is stupid. The kids should have known better, but nooo they don't and end up dying! I know it's a classic, but it bores me. Somehow I manage through the class and finally it's lunch.

***RECESS***

I don't want to play catch anymore, because now everyone wants to play with us. So I toss the ball to some kid as soon as I get out and go to my new “hideout”. There's a tree in the school yard. Its thick and big and tall. It's just perfect for hiding behind it and reading. I had brought my skip beat anime to school. It's sooo Asian of me to do so, but oh well. The second I go behind the tree, Anthony comes by. “Hey, there you are!” I look up and see Anthony before me. I honestly want to be alone, but I can't force him to.

“Oh, hey, Antony.” I pronounce his name that way on purpose, like the way I call Coughlin, cooflin.

“Why you staying back here all alone?!” He makes an extravagant gesture to the space where I am. I smile as I reply,

“Because I want to be here. It's nice!” Anthony shrugs,

“Okay, oh and your boyfriend is looking for you.” He adds a little instigating tone. Not a minute later comes the remark, “Shut up, Anthony.” I smile at Dominic's voice to myself. His voice was loud and clear, which meant he was close by. I stand up and look around the tree. Standing with Christopher is Dominic, looking sexy as ever. I smile and with a teasing tone call, “Hey, Dominic!” He looks in my direction and starts walking towards me. Anthony must have made a secret face to Dominic, because Dominic told Anthony off, before standing right next to me. Anthony walks away and I back up behind the tree.

I motion to Dominic to sit down but he doesn't. Oh well I say to myself. I shrug and keep standing. I lightly lay my head on his shoulder. It feels nice. I look up to him when I remember that tomorrow we have a field trip to a high school. “Do you want to sit next to me on the field trip to Central Catholic?”

He nods and looks down at me. I can tell that I'm not the only person that wants more than just casual talk. I feel like I could just kiss him right now, if it weren't for the bell.

Instead I stroke his hair and he looks up at the kids lining up already. “Dominic, you have nice hair, you know.” He smiles and laughs. “And Dominic?” He's already walking away. “Wait, wait for me!” I catch up to him. I look straight ahead and try not to blush as I say this, “Dominic, I really enjoy being with you.”

I look up at him as he looks down.

He smiles. “I do too.”