Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Clove's POV

It's quiet on the train, except for Daphne's annoying voice.

"Dinner is in one hour. You two go freshen up and prepare for dinner."

Trying to avoid Cato's eyes, I quickly make my way to my room.

I'm about to open the door to my room when Cato says my name "Clove. I-" he starts to say.

I know he's not good with words so I save him the trouble of trying to explain himself. "I know. It's fi--" I start to say, but then I realize that it's not fine. It will never be fine.

"Clove, I'm so sorry." he whispers.

I just nod and stare at the ground. I go into my room and plop down on the bed. I want to cry, but nothing comes out. Instead I do as Daphne said and take a shower. The shower is different then the one back home. It has so many different buttons. It takes me about five minutes to figure out how to turn on the warm water without burning my toes.When I get out of the shower I put on a pair of black skinny jeans and a loose, dark blue tank top. It's almost time for dinner, so I just put my hair into a messy bun.

As if on cue, Daphne knocks on my door and says, "Dinner is in ten minutes."

When I get to the dinning room Daphne, Brutus, and Enobaria are already sitting a the table. Cato isn't there yet, I'm guessing he's still in his room. Brutus and Enobaria are our mentors. Brutus being my uncle makes this whole situation even more awkward.

I take a seat next to Daphne. I don't want to speak, but I really want him here with me, so I ask "Where's Cato?"

"He said he was going to eat in his room." Daphne replies. Great. So I'm stuck with an annoying capitol lady, my uncle slash mentor, and an angry looking chick that I've never met before. Thanks, Cato.

Cato's POV

I know it probably seems like I'm weak or that I'm a wimp for not going to eat dinner with everyone else, but Clove is my weak spot. I'm not a softie or a wishy-washy kind of guy, but when it comes to Clove everything is different. No one else can make me feel the way she does. When I'm around her I feel warm inside. She makes me feel like a better person, even though I could never be a good person. I've been training to kill since I was able walk. I couldn't face Clove at dinner because I knew she would bring out the soft part of me and I can't afford to be weak right now. I need to be strong. For Cameron. For Caleb. For District 2. Especially, for Clove.

I lay on my new bed wishing for sleep that never comes. It's hard to believe that just a few hours ago I was kissing Clove on the sidewalk in District 2. I wonder what it's like without me. Normally before dinner, Caleb and I have contest on who can throw spears the farthest: Seven out of ten times I usually win. Then after dinner, I help Cameron with her homework and occasionally tell her a few stories about our mom. I wonder what they're doing without me. Gosh, Cato, stop thinking about them and start thinking about how you are going to keep Clove safe. I think to myself. How am I supposed to win and keep Clove safe at the same time? I guess there's only one answer to that. I don't win.

Clove's POV

When I get back to my room I take of my clothes off and slip into a slik night gown. There's no use in trying to go to sleep, so I try to think about District 2. My mom and dad probably couldn't care less that their only daughter is about to risk her life in the Hunger Games. They have never paid attention to me. If it wasn't for Uncle Brutus then I probably wouldn't know how to throw knives or use weapons.

I give up on thinking about District 2 and decide to go watch tv. There's not much to watch, so I just settle on Capitol's Got Talent. It's just an other stupid reality show for the capitol, except know one dies. It makes me wonder why they have to have the Hunger Games. Why do people have to die? Why do they have to ruin families and friendships? Why do we have to suffer? Why us?