PROLOGUE

"You must take one pill twice a day, that should help with the delusions and voices that aren't there." The doctor said as he handed me the pills. I hold the cylinder object in my hands and run my thumb over the sticker where is written my medication.

"Is-is this really necessarily?" I ask the doctor while tilting my head to the side. "I'm fine, really." I tell him quickly, trying to hide my twitchiness. 

"Bree," the doctor sighed and sat down in front of me. "You're schizophrenic." He said gently, as if trying to ease the fact that I'm actually schizophrenic. "This should help." He added.

I squint my eyes as I hear the whisperings in my ears. I glance around my surroundings, trying to find the source of these voices. No, it's  only me and this stranger in the room. My eyes scan the very plain and dull area. Cabinets that are closed and banners of the human body such as the bones and stomach, the throat and the brain hang with scotch tape on them. The white blinds are closed to vanish the depressing scenery outside. The voices told me it was going to rain all week.

"Bree?" The doctor asked. I shook my head as he woke me up from my stupor.

"Yes?" I asked, pretending I was paying attention all along.

"You can go now." He said as if I was never going to leave this very dull and expressionless room.

"Oh, right." I added quickly as I hop off the medical exam table.

I leave the room with my head low while scratching the back of my neck nervously. I avoid the gazes of the other patients and nurses.

"What is wrong with her?"

"I forgot to take my pills!"

"This patient is useless."

"How do I announce this horrible news to my children?"

"Why is it always raining? We live in Florida for crying out loud!"

"I just can't wait to leave, I've been here for hours."

I close my eyes tightly and keep my breathing steady. All these various voices are overwhelming. I open my eyes and escape this hospital as quickly as I can.

-<<•>>-

"Did I do something wrong for this to happen?" I hear my mother's voice pop up in my ears. I bite my lip and look out the window. I've never heard her say such a thing before or perhaps it's all in my head and I'm making it up. That's what everyone is telling me lately.

This all started happening last year. At the beginning, it was little whispers at the back of my head. With time, it started evolving. I used and still do receive these frequent visions. I would be able to be in my host's head and see through their eyes.

"Mommy," Jacob's young little voice interrupts my non stop thinking. "Is Bree sick?" He asked innocently. I glance over to him. His gaze is glued on my mother's face, curious for answers.

"Yes, I am." I answer. Jacob's big blue eyes dart towards me, his older sister. He wouldn't understand, he's too young. He's only five and I'm fifteen. "But don't worry, I'll get better." I say to convince him when I know I won't get better.

"Bree, you don't have to say anything." My mother's voice appears in the conversation. I glance at her. Her hands are gripping on the steering wheel of her car until her knuckles are white. The features on her face demonstrates she is stressed and tired, all of this caused by me.

"He'll have to know sooner or later." I mutter and switch my gaze to the window. I admire the rain drops flow carelessly on the surface of the window. I rest my head against the cool glass.

"Your grandfather wishes to spend more time with you." My mom says, trying to keep her voice steady to stop it from quivering. "He would like to have dinner with you tonight."

"The fresh air and scenery will definitely cure this." I answer my mother sarcastically. I close my eyes and my head slightly twitches. The whispering grows slightly louder. I gently rub my temples with my index and middle finger.

"Bree, answer my question." My mother says worriedly. The voices seem to tone out and I turn my attention to her. "Are you okay?"

I had to bite back a laugh. Of course I'm not. I haven't been since last year. "Yes." I lie. "I simply have a headache." Lies.

Dinner with my grandfather should definitely clear things up. Did you hear the sarcasm in my voice? Of course you didn't, you're not actually here, just another voice whispering incoherent things to me.

----

Hey guys! New fanfic. I've been wanting to write an Alma Peregrine fanfiction for quite a while. This will be based off the movie since I haven't read the books yet (and I really want to buy them.) Bree is inspired by David Haller from the television series Legion (I absolutely love that show!)

I hope you guys enjoy!