Annabeth

I always thought that when teenagers disappear for weeks there mothers were meant to me angry and worried sick.

In Sally's case, that's not true.

The day I met Thalia, Percy's cousin, was the day he never came back for weeks - I admit I was worried. I mean, who wouldn't be if a fourteen year old boy disappeared for a month.

But sally just kept saying he was fine and he will be back when he can, every time I asked. Something was off though, she seemed anxious about something.

After a month Percy came back, he seemed more mature and careful. His eyes seemed poisoned with grief that swirled and changed with his emotions. He seemed drained and looked quite skinny.

But now its been three weeks and I was staying over at Sally's apartment. I was thinking where Percy had been and why he looked terrible, however he just avoided the question when I asked.

He's gotten better now, he seems to be back to his happy normal self and put weight back on, thanks to his mothers cooking.

Anyway it was one in the morning and I was trying to sleep, Sally and I  had to get up at six in the mourning since we had an early class.

Suddenly, I heard Percy's window open then shut a second later. I heard Percy's voice muffled by the walls so I figured he was on the phone. Five minutes later Percy's door opened and I thought I hear him go to the bathroom then back to his room.

After that I rolled over and sighed when I heard him get in bed. I closed my eyes and fell to sleep...

I was up, dressed and ready by half six and joined sally in the kitchen. I smiled, kissed her on the cheek and made a cup of coffee.

We chatted for a few minutes, then I heard Percy's door close and Sally frowned. It was obvious to the world that Percy didn't get up at twenty to seven on a Saturday, even on a school day.

What I saw next nearly gave me a heart attack.

A girl about 14 walked into the kitchen from Percy's room, she had startling grey eyes that looked like they were analyzing everything and long Curly blonde girly hair in a messy pony tale. She was a beautiful young girl.

What surprised me most was that she was wearing one of Percy's old shirts, it went down to her thigh and I could just see the rim of her shorts.

I stared at her, trying to rap my mind round the fact that a beautiful girl has just walked out of my girlfriends sons room in nothing but his shirt and shorts. I did not know Percy had let her in, I hope they weren't up to something last night.

Finally she seemed to notice us and smiled at Sally. I looked over to see she was smiling back.

"Annabeth" Sally jumped up and gave her a bone crushing hug.

"Hi Sally I didn't think you would be up this early."  Annabeth i guess, replied.

Sally let go as Annabeth went to the sink and got a glass of water.

"We are going to an early class today, when did you get hear dear and is Percy awake?" Sally asked still smiling.

Annabeth shook her head with a knowing smile.

"No he isn't, he'll probably wake up in a minute and ask for a drink. I was lost last night and found your apartment. I climbed through Percy's window to see if i could stay."

Sally nodded "Obviously he said yes, there is no way he would let you wonder New York at night with all the m- er I mean lunatics out" she glanced at me.

Annabeth noticed this and switched her gaze to me, smiled and stuck he hand out.

"Hi you must be Paul, I'm Annabeth, Percy's best friend." she said as I shook it but all I could do was nod,  still in shock that sally didn't mind that this girl spent the night with her son. Wait a minute, what type off 'best friend' were we talking about here?

Sally was about to speak when I heard a muffled call from Percy's room. "Wise girl, can you get me a glass of water please?" he called. 'Wise girl?' I thought.

"I will in a minute, I'm just speaking to your mum and Paul" she called back with a sigh and began muttering under her breath "him and his water"

"How long will you be?" he asked.

"As long as it takes for you to not drool in your sleep seaweed brain" At that sally chuckled. All I could think was, how does she know he drools in his sleep? And 'seaweed brain?' what's with the nicknames.

"haha very funny" he called back sarcastically. She chuckled and began making another glass of water.

"I'm going back to bed, it was nice meeting you Paul. See you later Sally." And with that she bounded back into the bedroom with Percy's water.

I looked over at sally to see her shake her head. "Its not what you think Paul "

I gave her a questioning look. She gave a small smile and explained.

" They don't do anything. Annabeth's not like that and Percy wouldn't dream of it. They are really close and say they are best friends but there is something more"

She gave a sly smile and glanced at Percy's door. "What do you mean" I asked, I was curious.

"They are in love with each other but don't see it"

I stared at her "They are to young for that though, how do you know" I asked.

" You are never to young for love Paul. But as to how I know, everyone does but them two. They try to hide it but you can see they would do anything for each other." she chuckled softly. " you'll see Paul, When you see them together you'll get it. Come on were going to be late"

I nodded and with that we left. This morning was certainly a surprise I wasn't expecting.

And that was the first time I met Annabeth...