Chapter 12

Last time

Lukas couldn't help but gasp when he saw who it was. Why were they of all people here?

"Hello, Norway. Good to see you again."

---------------

Russia looked just as tall and imposing as Norway remembered. He and the Scandinavian nation had a pretty troubling history with each other. Needless to say, after years of conquest, Norway did not like Russia.

"Hej, Rus. How's it going?" Norway rolled his eyes. Leave it to Denmark to not notice the tense atmosphere. Even Finland was acting more restrained around the new company, his smile dropping slightly.

"It is going well. I was just thinking about (Y/N) today and thought I'd pay visit to my little sunflower." Norway thought that after so may months, she would've forgotten about Russia, but he was mistaken. The girl beamed at him, straining her neck to look him in the eyes. She embraced him in a large hug as if she had only left him yesterday.

"Mr. Russia!" she spoke in Norwegian. "I missed you so much. And Big Sister, too. Did you bring her with you?" She looked around frantically trying to find Belarus. She didn't notice Russia's face droop.

"Well," he replied in the same language. "She was not able to make it today. I thought I'd come to see you by myself, if that's alright." She giggled at him.

"Of course it's alright," she said. "Oh, it's going to be so much fun now that you're here. We can have picnics and pick flowers and make cakes and -"

"Alright, that's enough, (Y/N)," Finland laughed nervously. He ushered her inside, his face twitching slightly. "Why don't you go get warm inside while we talk to Mr. Russia?" The girl didn't notice the tension in the air and quickly did as she was told. When the door closed behind her, four heads swiveled in the newcomer's direction.

"She's grown since the last time I've seen her. And I don't recall her knowing Norvezhskiy before."

"She wanted to learn the language. So we taught her." Norway's response sounded nice enough, but his glare was heated. "Why are you here, Russland?" If Russia noticed the malice, he didn't show it.

"I wish to take my sunflower back to Russia with me." Four pairs of eyes went wide, and there was immediate backlash.

"What? But she's only been here for a short while! Berwald, does she really have to go?" Finland asked, eyes wide like a puppy.

"Yeah!" the Dane exclaimed. He was by far the closest to the child, being a natural kid-at-heart. "There's so many things we didn't get to do. Like go to Denmark and mountain climbing and celebrate Easter and go to Denmark and have a summer pool party and go to Denmark!" Norway narrowed his eyes and folded his arms. He stood straight up, suspicious of Russia's motives.

"You've only been with the girl for a few days. And that was many, many months ago. What makes you think you have claim to her?" He thought for a moment.

"Well, I was the one who found her in America. I brought her to Europe with me. I was with her first, so she should stay with me."

"You can't just call dibs on a person!" Denmark said.

"Not like you didn't do that with me, Dane," Iceland muttered. He huffed, pouting.

"Whatever. That was centuries ago. You're a Nation. She's a human."

"I am seeing no difference," Russia said. The five men were at a standstill, each one too stubborn and hardheaded to back down. Oddly enough, Sweden was the first to speak up.

"Why don't we let the girl decide?" Russia was quick to reply.

"That is a good idea, comrade. My sunflower is smart. She will know to pick me." Norway fought back a glare.

"She is a child. She's not old enough to know who she wants to live with and where."

"Can I say something?" The men turned to a new voice. (Y/N) had somehow silently snuck out from the house and was standing by the doorway. She bounced on the balls of her feet, her hands behind her back. She looked sheepish, and she kicked the dirt around with her foot.

Russia kneeled down to her level, brushing a stray hair out of her face affectionately. His smile was warm and disarming.

"What is it, my sunflower?"

"Why doesn't Mr. Russia come live with us?" Said Nation was quick to shoot down that idea.

"Well, Mr. Russia is not the best with Norway and his comrades. And I am not capable with leaving my home country for long periods of time. It would be best if you came to live with me in Russia." He seemed to think of something, looking back to the four Nordics. "Come to think of it," he muttered. "Why are the other Nations with Norway? Shouldn't they be in their own countries?"

Each of them looked away bashfully, muttering some sort of excuse. In reality, they had stayed with Norway just so they could stay with (Y/N). A human child was such a novelty that they all wanted to help raise her.

"Why do we not ask (Y/N) which Country she wants to stay with? Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Sweden, or me." The Scandinavians looked at each other worriedly. It was true that they needed to go back to their home countries, so it would make sense that (Y/N) only stay with one of them.

"What do you think, Norway?" Iceland asked. He thought for a moment, feeling all eyes on him.

"Alright. It makes sense. She knows us well enough to pick who she wants to live with." The girl smiled and stroked her chin. She though for a long while, looking back and forth between the five men.

"Well, it's really hard to pick." Eventually, she nodded to herself, a determined look on her face. She placed a fist in her palm and smiled. "Ok! I'm gonna have to pick. . ."

——————————

Yo! I'm not dead! Hooray! So I've got a poll for you guys. I'm working on three different Hetalia fanfics and want to know what you guys want to read.

1. Pirate!England x Reader: Arthur suffers a curse from a mysterious amulet and seeks out the help of a no-nonsense, sarcastic water witch

2. Time Cut Short: a not-so human girl gets tangled in the political battles between 1P and 2P Nations, lots of Canada and America as well as a few OCs

3. Hetalia x Reader: Reader gets accepted into the prestigious, international Hetalia High, standard High School AU

Maybe at some point I'll post excerpts, and I plan to update a lot more regularly. So please tell me what you think and I'll see you next update!