Norway Ending

Winters in Oslo were cold. But that just made the hearth warmer.

Sitting on the couch with a fleece blanket and a hot chocolate was one of Norway's favorite pastimes. Paired with a movie, this was his definition of a good time.

The small child was asleep on his lap, snoring softly. She was growing every day, and she was about to turn eight. Norway had a special surprise for her birthday, inviting all of the Scandinavians over to celebrate. She wanted a birthday party, as she told him in passing, but she understood if he didn't want to throw one.

He had the perfect idea for a party. Lots of her favorite cake and as much cocoa as she could drink. They would go sledding on the snowy hill, and he would teach her how to snowboard. At the end of the day, they would go into town for a shopping trip, and he would buy her that beautiful outfit she had her eye on for a while.

She shifted in her sleep, and Norway was pulled from his thoughts. 

"Norge, er filmen ferdig?"

"Yes, child. You slept through most of it." She rubbed her eyes, pouting her lip.

"Man, I wanted to watch the rest of the movie." He stroked her hair, lifting her up from the couch.

"Come on, (Y/N). It's time for bed."

"But I'm not tired!" He smiled.

"I know, child. Just lie down, okay?" He led her to her room, tucking her into the bed.  He didn't do this much, but he was feeling a bit sentimental that day. Slowly, he started singing, his voice soft.

"Barnet legges i vuggen ned
Stundom gråter og stundom ler."

She smiled, knowing the tune well.

"Sove nå, sove nå, i jesu navn
Jesus bevare barnet."

Slowly, she started singing with him, voice lagging with exhaustion.

"Mamma tar meg på sitt fang
Danser med meg att og fram."

She took his hand in hers. He started, but soon returned the gesture.

"Danse så, med de små
Danse så, så skal barnet sove."

Her snores could heard once again. Standing, he turned off the lights, once again looking at her sleeping form.

Yes, the hearth was certainly warm in Oslo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The song is called "Gjendines Bånsull" and is a popular lullaby in Norway.

Norge, er filmen ferdig?: Norway, is the movie over?