Appendix A: Glossary

AC: After Civilization. All years following Year Zero are denoted AC. 

BC: Before Civilization. All years before Year Zero are denoted BC. 

Karzelek: a small, burrowing creature of Vrylander mythology. Karzeleks are humanoid creatures with facial hair resembling beards and four small horns on their heads (two on each side). These creatures are said to help guide miners underground, but if offended, would lead miners astray into unstable ground where the miners would be buried alive. 

Karzeletoad: toad-like creatures with slimy brown skin covered in warts and five horns on their heads. They can burrow underground, and so, they were named after the Karzeleks. 

Noble: the upper class of Vryland society. They rule over the skrull and are government by an oligarchical council that reigns from the centre of Krakor City. 

Ofiary: a Vrylander term for sacrifice. 

Radrial: the planet on which Vryland resides. Radrial is in a double planet system alongside its sister world Umbreus. 

Shell: to destroy a target with cannon fire. 

Skrull: this is the lower class of the Vryland society. They are seen as subhuman, equal to beasts of burden, and are subject to the whims of the ruling noble class. If a skrull has worked hard following the nobles' order, they are upgraded to the status of niedraa. Niedraa are elite skrull that have finer clothes and they may even have money of the own. 

Vernbinding: a psychic power, though not in the sense of how we in Earth's universe thinks of psychic powers (in the universe of Radrial, a psychic power is any seemingly supernatural ability guided by the mind and is biological in origin). It is known in Vryland as the Art of Breathing Souls. Vernbinders can extract souls from other life forms and implant them, in another life form. 

Went cold: a Vrylander expression that means 'dried up' or no longer producing. 

Year Zero: this was the year when the first civilization in the area now known as Vryland was created. The first civilization had a calendar, unified system of writing, currency, weights, and measures, a unified central government, settled agriculture, and the infrastructure needed to make early cities. 

Zlotine tree: these trees bear golden fruit that, when consumed, grants the power of vernbinding.