Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Charles made Erik happy. And over the next few days, Erik spent a lot of time with his roommate, trying to make him laugh or smile. Just as long as he wasn't hurting himself. But Erik's problem continued to appear. He still got into fights. People still pissed him off. Charles still cut himself when Erik wasn't paying attention. As much as he appreciated the friendship, Erik couldn't cure him, and Charles didn't expect him to. Erik's fights turned more violent and bloody when some of the older boys started fighting back. It wasn't unusual for Erik to walk around with blood on his hands or a bruise on his face. Sometimes when there wasn't time for a physical fight with someone, Erik would take his anger out on whatever happened to be around. Which meant the walls of the cabin, the bed, trees, and sometimes himself. Charles tried to calm Erik down. He wanted to help, and he felt terrible when he couldn't. Erik, however, had never touched the shark in any way that could potentially show dislike for it. He loved the little animal, and it made him sleep better. So while blankets and sheets were ripped, walls had chips or holes, and his knuckles bled from the punches, the shark remained unharmed and kept safely in his backpack. Sometimes, Charles decided it was best to just allow Erik to get his rage out. He'd sit out by the lake, or occasionally with Jean, Scott, or Logan. He didn't like when they spoke badly of Erik, though. Erik stared at the empty bed above him. Charles was gone; Erik had lost control again and lashed out at people. It was better for Charles to stay away from him when he was like this, anyway.

"Another fit, huh?" Scott asked as he sat with Charles, Jean, and Logan.

Charles nodded slightly and sat quietly.

"I don't know why you try," Jean said. "It's not like he'll get any better. He'll go from here straight to jail."

"Yea, I mean... Charles, he's a killer," Scott said quietly.

"No he isn't," Charles snapped.

Jean stared at Charles, shook her head, and looked at Scott.

Scott glanced at him. "Oh, and I suppose he said that? Of course he's going to defend himself."

Logan sighed. "Guys..."

"Stop." Charles stood up quickly. "You've never even spoken to him. You don't know anything about him"!

Scott frowned. "No one talks to him cause he's a danger to everyone."

Charles huffed and walked off.

"I think Charles spent too much time with him," Jean said. "He's starting to act like him."

Scott nodded. "I think Charles needs to open his eyes, actually."

"You guys," Logan said. "Maybe we're judging Erik based on what he used to be... and not what he is now... not that I'm saying for sure that he's changed... but you have to admit, it's odd that Charles has been living with him for two weeks now and there's only been one incident."

Charles walked quickly and hid in the woods. He was upset and overwhelmed. He pulled a small box out of his sweatshirt and pulled a blade out. Erik sat up from his bed and sighed. He went out to smoke. He needed something to relax him. Charles sat down and slit his wrist. He watched the blood ooze out, then looked at his right wrist. He'd never cut it. There was no scarring; it would be easier to cut through.

Erik went on a walk. He saw Charles and sat down next to him. He didn't make any move to stop him. "Don't let me stop you..."

Charles swallowed silently. He dug the blade into his wrist quickly.

Erik blew out a breath of smoke and closed his eyes. "What happened?"

Charles didn't answer. He just kept cutting.