Aakash's Advocate

It was the morning after the Diwali party. Believe it or not, this was the part Khushi enjoyed more. Loads of jalebis for those who help clean up, jokes and laughter now that the pressure of hosting a party is over, and if she hadn't mentioned already, loads of jalebis.

It was always fun to clean up with her jiji. Her sister. Payal. Sure, every now and then they'd be interrupted by Aakash ji who dropped in only to flirt with jiji, but it was fun to tease them as well.

Jiji would simply stand there, with her horror-stricken face when Khushi teases them, but Aakash ji would turn a beautiful shade of bright red.

Serves them right.

Khushi had just kept the first set of curtains neatly folded in the store room, and was just returning to let Payal jiji know that it was her turn to clear the store room, when a pair of strong arms lifted her by the waist and pulled her back in the store room.

She was about to scream when Arnav ji stepped in front of her and covered her mouth. She relaxed instantly.

"What was that, Arnav ji? I was so scared!" She yelled at him, hitting his chest.

"I'm sorry, but then again, it doesn't take much to scare you," he replied, chuckling and showing in no way that he was actually sorry.

"Is that a dare? You wanna bet?" Khushi asked, scrambling to stand on her feet again.

Arnav helped her up, and shook his head. "Nah uh. Not a bet. You'd definitely lose and I don't like seeing my girl lose. To anyone."

The way he said 'my girl' so casually, like there was no room for arguments about it, made Khushi's heart skip a beat.

"Well then, I've got work to do. See you later." She said formally and nodded her head at him and walked away. Or at least tried to.

He put one arm around her waist and pulled her back right in front of him.

"Oh, but I wasn't done yet," he smirked, with fake sincerity.

"I don't like you," she replied in all sincerity.

He chuckled. "Sure. If it helps you sleep at night."

She opened her mouth in surprise. "How dare you -"

"Now, now, Khushi. I definitely know I didn't call you here to fight with you."

She laughed. "Call? More like manhandled, more like grabbed, more like pulled, more like kidnapped." She looked at him pointedly.

"You make me sound like a villain," he pouted and hung his head.

She laughed again, this time genuinely, sincerely. And she lifted his head up by his chin. "Okay. Sorry, Mr. Laad governor. You are no villain."

He simply kept looking at her. And then something hit him and he realized where he was. "Oh right. By the way, I've been noticing all morning. You're making fun of my little brother. Let him flirt with his wife!"

Khushi's heart warmed at his love for his brother. And then something hit her.

"Wait, weren't you supposed to behaving some half day video conference? Isn't that why you refused to help clean up?"

"Uh huh," he nodded.

"So then how did you notice what we were doing?" She asked, her eyes narrowing.

Arnav's eyes widened a little. He refused to meet her eye. Then he looked up, and in all confidence, said, "We cut the meeting short."

"Cut the half day meeting in half?" She asked and he solemnly nodded. "Then why didn't you come help us out?" She asked with mock sternness.

"I didn't want to disturb. You look cute bossing everyone around."

"But I-" Khushi started, but was interrupted by Anjali di's gentle voice. "Khushi! You in there?"

"I have to go," she said and pushed Arnav gently off her.