The Party

"No Di! I hate this!"

Khushi and Naani muffled their laughs under the pile of saris.

"What do you mean, you hate this Chote?" Anjali Di said sternly in horror, " It's beautiful. You look good in Indian attire. And you are going to wear this and come downstairs. No more said."

Arnav opened in his mouth in protest, but Di had already left. He hung his head and sighed. Naani followed Anjali.

Khushi walked up to Arnav. She picked up the kurta Arnav dropped and smoothed it. 'It's a nice kurta, Arnav ji, you should wear it."

"You think so Khushi? But why?"

"Well, for one, it looks good on you. Second, it will make Di and Naani so happy. To see their Chote obey them for once."

"And??"

"And...um, since it is black, if something falls on it, no stains will be seen." Khushi said, proud of herself for having found one more reason.

Arnav sighed hopelessly. "Will it make you happy, Khushi?" he asked, moving closer to her. He loved the way her beautiful eyes would widen, and she would take an equally good step back.

"Well, uh, yes. Maybe. Yeah, ok. It will make me happy."

"Ok then. Back in two minutes."

***********************************************************************************************

He came downstairs as fast as possible. Khushi had changed, too. She was wearing a gorgeous red sari. Wow.

He had always liked the color red. Now he couldn't help but admire how beautiful the color was, or maybe that was just Khushi doing all the work. She was laughing. Wow. Gorgeous. But then again he decided that teasing her a bit, bringing red to her cheeks would be a little more gorgeous.

"Khushi" he thought. Should he yell? How to distract her from them? Should I throw something at her? Nothing required. Khushi turned as though she had been called and looked around, puzzled. They caught eyes and he signaled with his eyes for her to come to the kitchen. She excused herself from there and came to the kitchen.

"Well?" he asked pointing to what he was wearing.

"Perfect." said Khushi, smiling, "Anjali Di will be so happy."

"You know that's not the answer I want to hear."

"Oh, right. I am proud of you?"

"Perfect."

"Hmm. By the way Khushi, nice sari."

"Really? Thanks. I like it too.

"Do you know my favorite color, Khushi?"

"Red, right?"

"Oh, so you do know. So it was planned", said Arnav, edging closer towards her, cornering her.

"Sorry?"

"My favorite color?

"Oh no ji, that was purely a coincidence." At this point, Khushi doubted even she believed it.

"Was it?"

She simply nodded. He shook his head.

"Now, now, Khushi. We don't want all the blood in your body running up to your cheeks, now do we?" he came closer and cupped her cheeks in his hands.

"I have to go," she said suddenly and dashed out the room.

Arnav chuckled. This girl makes me do crazy things I had never even thought of.

Ok this is it!!! I've started a new book!!

All of you please read it. This one was a little flop. Next will be better.

And for one, I'm quite determined and dedicated this time. Promise.

It's called PROMISES. Please read!!!!