Stacy Adams

Prologue.

I can't believe it is my 18th Birthday! I finally don't have to deal with my parents breathing down my neck about going outside the estate. I look toward Alise and Manda as they give me the thumbs up to go for it. I take a deep breath and push open the doors to the dining room. My parents called on me today as soon as I woke up. I was to be dressed and to have everything packed before I went to see them. To say I was nervous was an understatement. I know I begged them to allow me to prove I can handle a job and my own place with a little push from them.

I walk inside and bow my head to my father like I was taught since I was a child. I sit beside my mother who has small tear stains on her face. I know she will miss me but, I need this. I have been smothered and spoiled all my life and I want a little independence for once in my life. I need it. I look toward my father and wait for him to speak. It feels like forever before he does.

"Stacy Abagail Adams, you are my only daughter and you know how protective I am of you. I shielded you away from this disgusting world and now that you are 18 I cannot stop you from wanting to go explore it. I am going to though, give you this little push you asked for and not give you a lot of money like you asked of me."

I smile at him and wipe under my eyes. "Thank you, daddy."

"You will have an apartment close to your job at Full Foods and you'll have 500 dollars in your pocket to start with. You have your license so, pick at car and.."

When he stopped talking I knew he needed to clear his throat. He does that when he is upset in a happy way or sad way. I know he doesn't want me to leave but, I need to stand on my own two feet without my parents helping me. I stand and go to him hugging him in his seat. I step back after a few moments and bow to him once more.

Turning to my mother I see her crying some more and I run to her hugging her tighter than ever. "Thank you too, Mom." I let her go kissing her cheek and heading out of the room.

I stop and listen to my mother's words.

"Please be careful and don't make crazy decisions like you brother." I smile at her and shake my head, leaving them and the estate behind me. I pick the black 2017 Nissan Maxima, popping the trunk and tossing my bags inside. I know that my furniture was already delivered to my new place. I get inside and pause, looking back smiling. I made the right choice. I want to leave and get my independence. I pull off and look back once more.

Freedom here I come.