Chapter Thirty: This Deserves a Montage!

Start from the beginning

Phone vibrates.

Text message.

Joaquin:
Sorry. Don't worry, I asked Artie to give you a ride home. He's in the area. Call you when I'm home.

_ _ _

Sean is doing his blocking on stage with a script still on hand.

Sir Ricky: That does not look like a good mark to start the line from. Why don't you take a few steps back?

Sean re-traces his steps and moves more to upstage right.

Sean: Right here, sir?

Sir Ricky: Let's try that from there.

Sean/playing Sebastian: "Hindi ko na sana ibig na abalahin ka; Ngunit dahil kaligayahan mo ang mag-hirap, Hindi na kita sisisihin."

_ _ _

During one rehearsal while waiting for his cue, Sean and Joaquin are on the floor of the audience are of the mini theater. There's a group of other students near where they are with hot-melt glue guns and scissors on hand working on headdresses for the play.

Sean's working on his Math 11 assignment. He's struggling with it. His handouts and school stuff are all over the floor. Joaquin's seated right beside him reading his own handouts.

Abbie: Sean, you need to get fitted for your costume.

Sean gets up and leaves his homework in on the floor. Joaquin watches him as he walks off.

Joaquin grabs the workbook and starts working on the math problem Sean left behind.

_ _ _

Another company call.

Sir Ricky: "Asides" are plot devices that give the audience a sliver of what's going on in the minds of the characters at that exact moment of the play. Asides often make the actors break the fourth wall and engage the audience to a certain degree. It's exploited in the movies when the actor suddenly talks to the camera and gives a reaction that is quite removed from the action. But don't mistake asides from cinematic narration. So Jerome, if you say, "Heto ang ang Kondesa: sumasayad ang langit sa lupa!" I want you to say "Sumasayad ang lannngggiiittt sa luuhppaaa" with orgasmic flair!

There's a collective laughter from the cast and crew.

_ _ _

Rehearsal

Nerissa/playing Cesario: "Tiyak... "

She looks at where Joaquin and Sean are seated, they're whispering about something. Sean and Joaquin break into a laugh at their corner of the mini theater.

Christine/playing Countess Olivia: Nerissa, it's your line.

Nerissa is trying to gather her line from the cue but couldn't.

Nerissa: I'm sorry, line please?

Abbie: the line is: "Tiyak na kung ikaw nga siya, pinapanggap mo'ng iyong sarili —"

Nerissa: Oh right ....

Sir Ricky: Focus, Nerissa!

_ _ _

At the bench. Joaquin is seen holding a folder and reading from it.

Joaquin/reading Antonio's part: "Ipagpaumanhin sa akin, ginoo, ang aba mong kapalaran."

Sean/reciting Sebastian: "Ay butihing Antonio, ipagpatawad ang abala sayo."

Joaquin/reading Antonio's part: "Kung hindi mo ako papatayin dala ng pagmamahal sayo, tulutan mong makapaglingkod ako bilang utusan mo."

Sean/reciting Sebastian: "Kung hindi mo babawiin ang iyong nagawa na , at papatayin ang sinagip sa kamatayan, huwag mo yang hangarin —Wait, don't tell me, I got this.

Joaquin is looking intently at Sean waiting for him to remember the line.

Sean/reciting Sebastian: "Paalam na agad. Puno ng damdamin ang aking dibdib, at sa labis akong nagmana sa ugali ng aking ina; walang kamukat-mukat, nag-iiwan ng bakas ang aking mata!"

Sean gets his lines out and looks pleased with himself while Joaquin, quite amused and proud, looks on.

_ _ _

A costume master is assisting Sean as he does a final fitting of his costume.

Sean looks at himself in the mirror as the cape is draped on his shoulder.

It's a cream stylized Elizabethan era men's ensemble with black details. Imagine it as a mix of old and new but still looking out of our own time.

Another student fits a customized wig on Sean's head.

_ _ _

Rehearsal.

Christine/playing Countess Olivia: Kamangha-mangha! Ma-aari at Di Ma-aari!

Sean as Sebastian and Nerissa as Viola/Cesario are revealed by a special light on stage.

With the costumes and wigs on, they really look like twins!

_ _ _

🎶 Don't let gooo...
One dance left! 🎶