14. Detention with Mr. Grumpy

(Sam’s POV)

Sam Winchester held his breath as he (tried to) politely squeeze past a huge group of people that had decided that standing in the middle of the already small and crowded hallway was a brilliant idea. After he got past them with only a few grunts and annoyed glares, he huffed to himself and checked his timetable to make sure he was headed to the right classroom this time. Sam looked over at the classroom doors that were lined along the far wall and looked for the class IE1 which, due to his height advantage over most of the other students, he quickly spotted the door that lead to his Industry and Enterprise class.

As he navigated his way through the scattering students he saw Gabriel headed in his direction, instinctually the Winchester put on his best smile and waved over to him. Gabe responded with a mutual wave as he practically jumped over to Sam.

“Hey Gabe!” Sam called cheerily as he stopped out the front of his classroom and the other student approached him.

 “Why Sam, I see you have stalked me and stolen my class” Gabriel replied with a big toothy grin as he pointed towards the IE1 classroom door.

Instead of throwing back a smart-ass joke like Gabe expected, Sam just furrowed his brows, “I didn’t know you were into business and legal stuff?” Then again the Winchester couldn’t exactly judge, this definitely wasn’t his first choice of classes but Dean had encouraged him to try it out, saying that he could someday become some big-shot lawyer if he tried. Yeah, Sam definitely doubted that.

“I’m not really, but after I got kicked out of my Cooking class for…. Let’s just say ‘creative differences’ between the teacher and I, it came down to this class or wood tech. And no one would be safe if they let me near any dangerous saws or drills or any sharp objects really” Gabe joked, along with exaggerative hand gestures and goofy facial expressions. “I would love to stay and chat Sammy boy but we should go in, the teacher is a real tight-ass” He warned, giving the Winchester a last cheeky smile before opening the door and stepping into the classroom. Sam pouted at the nickname, it was bad enough that his brother was fond of calling him that, he definitely didn’t need Gabriel to pick that up too.

Nevertheless, Sam followed his friend into the class. As soon as the door opened everyone, including the teacher, turned to stare disapprovingly at the two boys who had just disrupted their class. Gabriel comically raised his hands in false surrender as he swaggered further into the room, whereas Sam had stopped dead in the doorway and his cheeks were already frustratingly red from embarrassment. He knew that he was already late to class, after getting lost twice, so stopping to talk to Gabe probably wasn’t the best idea.

“Gabriel… again” A gruff, irritated voice came from the front of the class, the much older grey-haired teacher standing there with a disappointed but expecting look on his face. Gabe just gave him a sly smile and a shrug before going to sit down in a chair in the middle of the class. Sam could tell that this clearly wasn’t the first time Gabriel had come late to this teacher’s class late. “And who are you?” the teacher questioned, staring directly at Sam who shrunk under the man’s intimidating gaze. 

“Um.. I am Sam Winchester sir, I am uh… new to this school, I started Monday” the Winchester said  in a desperate mess, jumbling up the simplest words as he tried to distract himself by looking up at the whiteboard behind the teacher. It was already half-filled with notes and Sam noticed the teacher’s name in the top corner of the board.