"Uh, fashion statement," Zayn said, after the slightest pause. The hoarse tone of his voice made Niall question the sincerity of his answer.

What if...?

No, of course not. He wasn't the type of guy. Zayn loved himself too much to consider doing those things. At least, that was what Niall knew of him. And he decided to trust in that.

He made up his mind to let it go for a while.

He was pulled from his thoughts as he felt Zayn's hand gently find his own under the table and give it a reassuring squeeze. The gentle gesture made Niall forget his doubts. Zayn was the strongest person he knew. There was no way he would do what Niall thought he did.

But the blood last night, though.

Niall shook his head to clear it. He trusted Zayn well enough to know that he would talk about any problems he had, not resort to other... Outlets. "Hey, you know I love you and I'm always here for you, right?" Niall said to him.

Zayn nodded. "Of course."

After breakfast, the boys jumped in front of the TV and played a Paranormal Activity marathon DVD. The first few hours of the show went fine, with Louis screaming unnecessarily at every silent moment and clutching obscenely at Harry's crotch during intense scenes. Liam was constantly slapping Harry for the high-pitched, anxious laugh he always made when he was frightened, and after a while, Niall felt the urge to cuddle with Zayn. 

Zayn put an arm around Niall and held him close quietly, but Niall noticed how fidgety he'd become. Zayn was barely sitting still. While the others watched the movie, Niall felt Zayn's forehead, which was burning hot.

"Zayn," he murmured, "you're running a temperature."

Zayn's eyes were fixed on the screen, watching some uninvited presence slowly swing the door back and forth. "I'll be fine."

"No, you should rest," Niall said. "What are you coming down with? Flu? Have you got a headache, stomachache?"

Zayn shook his head firmly.

"Are you sure?" Niall whispered.

Zayn nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just.. a little lightheaded, that's all. Maybe I need to lie down for a while."

Niall let Zayn lean against him, lie down with his head on Niall's lap. He turned onto his side and closed his eyes, and Niall gently stroked the scruffy black hair. He couldn't help noticing how warm Zayn's body seemed to feel, though, and the fever seemed to be running quite high...

"Zayn," Niall said again. "I really think you should go to bed and put some cool clothes on your head. You're running a fever."

Louis looked up from the movie. "Did Zayn shit himself again? That demon wasn't even scary."

Zayn opened his mouth indignantly, but Niall shushed him. "No, he's just got a fever."

"Go upstairs and lie down," Liam switched to caretaker mode in an instant, pausing the film and as he got up. "I'll get some ice packs."

"No, guys, I'm fine -"

"You're not," Harry drawled, turning to look at Zayn. "Stop whining, I won't let you go down with some hideous life-threatening disease."

Zayn mumbled something under his breath, rolling his eyes. 

"C'mon," Niall helped him up. He hooked one of Zayn's arms around his shoulder, and put his hands around his waist as he supported him up the stairs. They somehow managed to limp up, and Niall let him into his own room since it was closer than Zayn's.