Heavy Eyes, Sleepy Sighs

......... it's a new chapter yolo swag i hope you guys like it i'm sorry about the crappy short author's note like i am /literally/ about to fall asleep on my own ass right now i'm so tired lol anyway comment and vote and stuff yah i love y'all :-)

--

Niall leaned forward and buried his fingers in his hair, tugging on the strands lightly. The waiting room was poorly lit and ghostly, with him and Liam being the only two people inside. Empty chairs stood aligned along the walls, the sharp scent of disinfectant stinging in their noses.

“What’s the time?” Liam asked after a moment, and even though his voice was quiet, it was hoarse, like the words were being beaten and bruised on their way out of his mouth.

Niall lifted his head up, glancing at the clock on the wall. “Ten past twelve.”

“Are you hungry?” 

“I’ll be fine,” Niall rubbed his bleary eyes, resting his cheek against his palm and staring straight ahead at the seats opposite him. “Are you?”

“No,” Liam sighed. 

Niall nodded, not responding.

“Are you alright, Niall?” Liam asked gently after a moment. “I mean – do you want to talk about it?”

“There’s nothing to talk about,” Niall exhaled and sat back up, leaning against the wall and hugging his arms around himself. “He had a breakdown. He was nervous and anxious and upset. He’ll be fine.” 

Liam touched Niall’s shoulder softly. “You were frightened.”

Niall shook his head and blankly kept his eyes on the wall, but he could clearly remember the waves of panic that broke out across his flesh, biting him with sharp canine teeth.

“Listen, I don’t want to sound like an arse, I really don’t,” Liam took a deep breath and paused. “But, um. Niall, how long are you going to keep this up?

Niall turned to look at him, raising his eyebrows at the sudden change in conversation. “Keep what up?”

Liam shrugged, drawing away slightly like he was talking to a raging animal. “This whole thing. With Zayn being like that.”

“Being like what?” Niall asked loudly, daring Liam to say aloud the words he knew that everyone else was thinking, somewhere down inside. 

Liam closed his eyes and rubbed at the lids. “You know what I’m talking about.”

“You think I’m going to dump him?” Niall could barely get the words past his teeth, biting them into furious pieces as they made their way out.

“No,” Liam said quickly, widening his eyes, hands rising up in self-defense. “No, I’m not saying that. I’m just saying – maybe you need to take a break too. Just for this year, while he’s away. Give him his time to recover. And when he’s back, pick up from wherever you left off.”

Niall stared at him. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“I’m just –“

“No,” Niall interrupted suddenly. “This isn’t a fucking movie. Zayn can’t just cut me out of his life for a year, and neither can I. We don’t pause wherever we want and then rewind and play again, Liam.”

“I know, Niall,” Liam said, his voice slow and deliberate. “But I just think that Zayn should focus on himself. Not worry about your relationship while he’s in there.”

“And I think that you should mind your own damn business,” Niall snapped, pushing himself up and heading for the door.