I

Doraland – 4th of January 1533

It was the day all the kingdom of Doraland were anticipating. Today, the only daughter of a European man and an African woman would marry a king. Throughout the kingdom, there was excitement. Some of the subjects were filled with disbelief. They did not think their king would ever have another queen. He had endured more tragedy than most rulers in his short time on the throne. He had lost his wife, his mistress, and both of his children within thirty days. Then, came along Chelsea Remington, the only daughter of a powerful duke. She soothed the king's pain. She provided him comfort. She birthed his only living child. In return, he furnished her family with lands and riches beyond any other. Yet, he did not seek Chelsea's hand in marriage. The kingdom waited, certain that the day would come when the mistress would become the queen.

Now, that title was soon to be bestowed upon Abigail Remington. She was an exquisite beauty. Her skin was dark like clay. Her hair was large and spiraled as if it were a bundle of thread. Her face was angular in shape with cheeks as round as a newborn's. Her soft eyes shined with innocence. Her plush lips smiled happily. As soon as Abbie arrived, the king could see no other woman. It did not take long for him to set Chelsea aside. The kingdom filled with anticipation. There was to be a wedding mass grandeur. Abbie was the victor in the game for Maxwell's affections.

Now, the day was upon them. Abbie's chamber thrived with activity. There were maids assigned to tend to her gown. It was a wonderfully designed garment made of white silk with lace-trimmed sleeves. The neckline was square allowing for Abbie to don lavish jewels around her neck. Jewels worn by prior Doraland queens. The bodice of the gown was meant to be fastened with pearls. There was a slit in the middle of the skirt revealing a silk underskirt of the royal color. Abbie's maids helped her into the beautiful gown. Its significance was hard to deny. Gone was the simple girl who arrived in the kingdom with innocent ignorance. The thought consumed her as she travelled in a carriage, crafted specifically for this day, to the largest cathedral in the country. The carriage was painted in gold with the royal crest, an apple surrounded by vines with a cross piercing through it and a crown surrounding it all, carved into its side. The king had spared no expense for this occasion. Despite the pope's disapproval, God seemed to be blessing the union. The sun shined bright despite the typical dreary weather Doraland was forced to endure in the winter. Inside the carriage, Abbie rode with her father.

"You are beautiful, Abigail." Thomas placed a gentle kiss upon her cheek before they stepped onto the stoned pathway. Abbie's breath was stilted as her body shook with nerves. Thomas squeezed her small hand in comfort. "Remember, my child, His Majesty loves you. He has chosen to marry you. That is all that matters." He reminded her patiently. Abbie nodded her head, veiled under a lace hood.

The father and daughter entered the cathedral. The golden doors were thrown open as the musician blew his horn. A gold rug was lain upon the aisle. Thomas led Abbie down it. Each step drew them closer to the eagerly awaiting king. Each step pulled her further from simplicity. With strength and eagerness, she continued forward. Her head was high. A smile was upon her face. Today, she would marry the man she loved before all his people. The pews were filled with nobility and diplomats from all of Europe. They had all traveled to witness His Majesty take his second wife. Thomas carefully handed Abbie over to Maxwell. The archbishop began to pray over them. They stood with both of their hands clasped in the other's. All persons focused upon them. The ceremony was long and intricate as was expected with a royal union. There were many prayers to be recited and hymns to be sung. Offerings were made to seek the blessing of a fertile union. Promises were spoken of faithfulness, obedience, kindness, and love. Abbie vowed to be Maxwell's humble and patient wife. He vowed to be her strong and loyal husband. With a last prayer beseeching God to protect the sanctity of the pair's marriage, the archbishop pronounced them man and wife. Eagerly Maxwell clasped Abbie's face and descended his lips upon hers. Their subjects rose and applauded. Luis, Maxwell's bastard brother, stepped forward holding a decorative chest in his hands. Maxwell turned to the chest and lifted the lid. Inside was an intricate tiara made of silver filled with bright jewels and stones. Carefully, Maxwell lifted the tiara high above his head so that all who were present could see it. Abbie bowed her head as Margaret, her brother's wife, removed the lace hood she wore gently. An anticipatory silence filled the cathedral. Maxwell stood behind Abbie. An eager smile ruled his handsome face. With slow precision, he placed the tiara upon her head. Their subjects, now upon their feet, bowed.