Chapter 19

Chris stared at my outstretched hand as if he was afraid of it.

"Chris, please." I softly pleaded. "I don't want to have to fight this all alone." 

His chilled hand lightly took mine and as he brushed his lips against my wrist my pulse started to pick up pace. Chris' mouth opened slightly, making it clear that he was hesitating.

"It'll be okay." I whisper, trying to reassure him and maybe myself as well. 

His teeth suddenly sunk into my skin like dull razor blades, causing me to inhale sharply. The first pull he took in caused my stomach to do a flip as his free hand clutched into the back of my shirt. It was such a strange sensation to have my blood being drank, it wasn't erotic or painful like some stories say. It just sort of burned and tickled at the same time. Chris took a couple of mouthfuls from me before releasing me, leaving me feeling slightly dazed from it. 

"So, do you feel any different?" I asked as I lowered my arm into my lap.

He licked his lips as he lifted his head, sighing, "Oh my god, I haven't felt this good in years."

"Does your throat burn anymore?"

He shook his head no before murmuring, "Thank you."

"It's no big deal, I just want to make sure that you're going to be okay."

Chris leaned over his mattress and grabbed a plain black t-shirt, tarring off a strip of the fabric. He grabbed my arm and wound the cloth around my puncture marks. "I know that this isn't much, but it's all I have."

"It's fine."

"Ashlyn, I know this going to sound odd, but would you care if I kissed you?"

Instead of answering him with words, I placed a hand against his neck and pressed my lips to his. Chris slowly melted into the kiss as he put his hands into my hair at the back of my head and gradually took the lead of our movement. I noticed as his tongue gently brushed against my bottom lip that he had become slightly warmer to the touch.

As much as I didn't want to admit it out loud, I was glad that I was getting to have this moment. No matter how much I didn't really want to own up to being the person that was falling for someone that should technically be considered a monster, it was happening regardless. Chris has been so self-sacrificing throughout this whole ordeal he has been through and I knew that it was time for someone to look out for him. I knew deep inside of me that this need to protect him came from how much I cared about him, I'm not about to lose another person that is important to me to death.

When Chris finally let me go, the intensity in his eyes was stunning. His hand moved to tenderly push my hair out of my face as he uttered, "I promise that I will do everything in my power to turn you back into a human again, even if I have to die trying. I know that there's no way to take back what happened to Carly or those poor other girls, but this will be different. I may have not been able to save them, but I will save you."

My heart felt like it was fluttering at his statement. This meant the same thing for him too, we had lost people in the past, but we were going to fix it. Even though it might not be true, in that moment it felt like we could do this. That we truly could beat Danielle at her sick games.

I gave Chris another deep kiss before telling him, "We'll get out of this together."    

Chris rested his forehead against mine whispering, "I hope you're right."

I chuckled before pointing out, "You've gotten warmer."

"It's all thanks to you, for one reason or another." He says with a wicked smirk and then tilts his head to attach his mouth to mine yet again.

The taste of my own blood should have been strange and possibly disgusting, but it was the opposite. The faint flavor awoke a hunger in me that I hadn't known existed. I found myself kissing Chris with a new intensity and his response mirrored mine. He drug me into his lap in the same moment that I moved to climb on him. Our chests pressed together as his mouth trailed from mine, then down my neck as he gently nibbled at my skin. I inhaled deeply at the pleasant sensation, tilting my head back to give him better access.

His large hands slid down my back, pausing me to grip my hips as he lifted his head to mesh our lips together once more. As this happened my hands coasted down his shoulders, then his arms, and finally stopped at his abdomen. My fingers curled up underneath the hem of his shirt, allowing me to feel more of his wonderfully soft skin. Much to my displeasure, Chris leaned back from me, breaking the kiss. 

"You need to feed too." He tells me in a voice that sounds slightly dazed. 

I let out a small laugh, "When you put it like that it sounds sort of gross."

His smirk was slight as he said, "For your information, the fact that we have to do this at all is gross."

I frowned as I nodded, "You're right."

He gave me a sad smile telling me, "Come on, then. Let's get this over with."

As I reached to pick up his arm, he pulled it away. When he saw the questioning in my gaze he explained, "I don't want to see it."

I was confused about what he would want me to do instead and then his palm gently guided my head towards his neck.

I placed my hands on his shoulders, letting my lips brush his throat as I spoke, "This is kind of cliche, isn't it?"

I was glad to hear him laugh quietly, "I'm aware."

I found that when I bit into his flesh that I didn't have to apply the amount of pressure I thought I would have to. Chris gasped softly in my ear as I pulled in a tiny bit of his blood. It didn't taste like copper or rust, no it was like liquid ecstasy. I sighed at the way it instantly put out the fire that had been in my throat for days. I couldn't even imagine how this must have felt for Chris. I didn't take nearly as much as he had, mostly due to my fear for his health. He shuddered as I licked up some of the blood that had managed to drip down his neck.

"God," He breathed out, "that shouldn't have been as hot as it was. I feel like a fucking freak."

"Nah, it was just because I was the one doing it." I tease him as I pick up his torn shirt and press it over his wound.

He grinned, "You're probably right."  

I couldn't resist placing a kiss on his forehead murmuring, "I fully intend on keeping you from now on."

He pulled me towards him, allowing me to rest against his chest as he replied, "Good, I was planning on doing the same."