Chapter 1

Rain pelted the window, making it nearly impossible to see the road in front of us. I was starting to get worried about driving in this sort of weather. I was used to this kind of rainfall leading to something worse and even though I was exhausted I remained awake from nerves.

"I though it was supposed to be sunny since it's, you know, summer?" My younger sister Haylee asked in a sarcastic voice from the back of the car. Her german shepherd Mimosa grumbled at the sudden volume of her voice, before lying her head back in Haylee's lap. 

"Yeah, so did I sweetheart. Listen girls I'm going to pull over until this lets up." My dad tells us as he pulls over into gas station and parks us under the awning.

Haylee hops out of the car saying, "I'm going to the bathroom."

My dad rolls his eyes before turning to me, "Ashlyn, go with your sister please."

I nodded and hurried after Haylee, trying to use my hood to shield myself somewhat from the downpour. Once we were inside the restroom I leaned against one of the sinks as my sister took care of her business.

"This summer is going to painfully boring." She groaned to herself from inside the stall. "All my friends are back in Florida."

"Make new ones." I say as I notice a bulletin board next to me.

"That's going to be so hard though." She mutters to herself.

I saw that almost every flier was a missing person's report, there had to be at least thirty of them and some of them were recent. It gave me a moment of unease and I quickly turned my attention away from it.

"Hurry up in there!" I called to the stalls.

A minute later I heard a flush and Haylee came out saying, "You act like we're in a rush."

I decided not to respond and just began tapping my foot impatiently to get on her nerves.

When she finished washing and drying her hands she gave me a pointed look asking, "Do you enjoy being annoying?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I say as I hold the door open for her.

We hurried back to the car and dad was sitting inside playing with the radio. When he finally got something to come in it was clearly a News station and it was reporting on a young girl that went missing two days ago in an area called Scranton. My dad quickly changed the station to some pop music and now I was even more worried. Haylee started singing along to the song to Mimosa and I knew she wasn't going to listen to us now.

I reached over to gently tap my dad's arm and whispered, "Where exactly did you say we were moving to?"

He glanced at the rear view mirror seeing that Haylee was busy texting on her phone and nodding to the beat of the music. His voice was just as quiet as mine, "Scranton."

"Seriously? Did you not look into where we were moving?"

He waved it off, "I grew up there, it's not that bad. Plus, since your grandmother was nice enough to let us stay in her house we don't have much of a choice. Besides, the missing girl is probably just a runaway."

I decided to drop it and sighed, "Okay."

"The rain stopped." Haylee comments, obviously unaware of the conversation we had just been having.

"Alright, let's get out of here." My dad says and puts the vehicle into gear.

When we finally made it to our grandma's, the clouds had drifted away and the sun was blazing bright in their place. When we pulled into the driveway of our grandmother's large home I felt a swell of hope in my chest, there had to be enough room for Haylee and me to have separate rooms. Right when we stepped out of the car our grandma was hurrying down the stairs to greet us.