13. Valentine's Day (and My Missing Roommate)

*Emily's POV*

     Valentines Day...

     Valentines Day had really crept up on me. It still felt so early in the school year, but there were really only a few months left until summer break. I couldn't wait to see my mom and Sam.

     James was still Petrified, but nobody cared. Everyone hated him after what he had done to me. He would be thrown out as soon as he could walk. All of the teachers were disgusted that a Hogwarts student had been spiking his girlfriend's drinks just because he had zero game. I was beyond happy that he was gone. Plus, it meant that I could spend more time with the twins.

     We were sitting in Charms class, having a Valentines Day-themed lesson on entrancement spells. It honestly made me very uncomfortable after the whole James ordeal.

I leaned over to Fred, who was sitting beside me. "If you like somebody, shouldn't you just flirt and be yourself and stuff? And hope that they like you back?"

He whispered back, "Well, if somebody's got a rubbish personality, then I reckon it wouldn't quite work out. But you're right."

I gave a halfhearted laugh and turned my attention back to Professor Flitwick. He was giving a rather dull explanation of a spell when somebody burst through the door.

It was one of Professor Lockhart's singing dwarves. He was short and very ugly, dressed in a white tunic and holding a small harp.

Professor Flitwick looked very annoyed, but just pressed his lips into an annoyed grimace and watched the performance.

"A singing valentine for Mr. Lee Jordan!" The dwarf called.

Lee sunk down into his seat in embarrassment.

The dwarf cleared his throat and sang:

"Lee, Lee
You are such
A sweet pea,
With locks of brown
And eyes of gold,
Who knows what the future holds?

From a secret admirer."

The dwarf only paused for a moment before he sang a Valentine to Angelina (from Lee, to whom she scowled), to Alicia Spinnet (from a secret admirer), and to Katie Bell (from George, to whom I shot a teasing look). I barely expected it when the dwarf plucked its harp and said in a singsong voice:

"A Valentine to Miss Emily Winchester."

My jaw dropped and I sunk into my seat. My ears went scarlet. I groaned as the dwarf sang:

"Emily Winchester,
A charmer, that one
A love inside my heart has festered,
I could search for another,
But there are none
She's twice as smart
And three times as fun
I may seem like a jester,
But believe me when I say
If she asked, I could never pester her
I love you lots, Emily Winchester.

From a secret admirer."

The dwarf plucked his harp one last time before skipping out of the room.

I buried my face in my hands and lay my head on my desk. My bright pink ears were clearly visible to the entire classroom.