Chapter 2: This wolf has fresh wounds

Marriage is like a deck of cards... In the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond. By the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.                                                                            Anonymous. 

Song in my opinion is very fitting ! ->

After diner was feasted upon we moved our way to the drawing room to participate in a friendly games such as chess and cards. I tried to excuse myself from joining them and retiring early but mama wouldn't have it. She gave me one of the murderous looks she gave papa when he would leave a trail  of mud and dirt on her favourite Turkish rugs after he returned from hunting trips. If I dared utter one more word mama would grab me by my ear and physically force me into the drawing room. Instead of continuing to reason I displayed a warm smile inwardly agreering with myself to make the best of the night as it was still young and not allow any outsider to interfere within my time with my family.

We were seated around a red cloloured glass table in our rather deluxe drawing room. Our eyes fixated on papas skillful hands as he split the deck of cards and then flexed them back into one pile.

''First were playing the classic game or cards but with a twist..'' Papa looked at me and grinned. This was our favourite game that we played on events or special occasions.

''No money is to be used as this table. The person who matches your  identical cards with a better shall claim anything that they desire that you posses on you. Clear?'' Papa said to clear any misconceptions.

''Crystal''

A baritone voice spoke directly in front of me. My body quivered and became still for a moment at how the words easily flowed out of the devils perfectly shaped mouth. The way he extended the 'L' giving it a sensuous sound I  doubt the rest could hear. Oh how I yearned to hear my name being whispered past those..

I shook my head lightly trying to disperse any inappropriate thoughts about a heartless cold man whom I've just met not long ago. My actions seemed to attract his attention as I felt a pair of sharp calculating eyes on me.

I lifted a glass of lemonade to my lips and drank in hopes it relieved the increasing dryness of my throat.

''Oh Helena I apologies but I'm going to strip your dear husband bare of that gorgeous gold lined dagger in his boot. It will be of more use and receive more care in my collection than against his sweating ankle!''

The duke of Brumlings jeered at mama with a friendly wink.

Papa feigned shock as he gasped while mama raised her perfect brow as she smirked at the duke.

''I doubt that's even possible Peter If I rid you of that gorgeous silver watch in your breast pocket before you say damn''

We all broke into laughter at there banter including the Duke of the ten Districts who usually was busy keeping the sombre emotionless expression. Papa once told me it was mamas fire laced tongue and beauty that wooed him.

''Ladies first'' The duke of Brumlings said after papa handed out 4 random cards to all of us.

Mama began the heart pumping game by laying down 2 spades.

The game continued as so for a while longer. As predicted mama won by taking not one but 3 belongings of the Peter duke of Brumblings. We all chuckled at his childish behaviours as he sulked and grunted every so often. I allowed the misfortune duke to pick something from me but he refused. Oh men and their pride.

Papa encouraged to mama to pick on some one else, the Duke of the ten districts for example but mama refused by saying she does not take from family or feverishly handsome young men.