5. Ti Kijonuk (The Selfish Fool)

Charlie

The moons' light crept over the rocky cliffs, streaming in over the Oasis. A clear bright night blanketed the land in blue tones. My head still rattled from being shaken awake by Tane only hours into my nap. I hadn't slept in what felt like days. But in times of war, there was always something dire afoot and no naps to be had. Tane had urged me to wait with her before the departure, and I'd been powerless to refuse her.

Tane paced in front of the entrance to Dioradoa, her hair billowing out behind her. A Feeder--I mean messenger--sat blind and patient in front of her as if waiting for her orders. She absently patted the messenger on the head every now and then. I cringed, waiting for the shriek that never came. I hadn't gotten used to the things, but as long as they kept their teeth to themselves I'd keep my feet on the ground.

"Where is he? We need to leave. Now," she urged, scanning the tents once again for Azurael.

I tossed some fruit into my mouth and shrugged. She'd asked the same question four times over the last hour. Even though we'd only just arrived, Tane wanted us to leave again. Not even a full meal into our return, the new mission was to rescue Gaius from Edent, as if she knew he was hurt. As if he deserved any ounce of consideration from her after what he'd done.

Azurael, Kahla, and I had slept in a tent while Tane had paced around outside all day, only stopping to take a bath. Her mind wouldn't let her think of anything but Gaius in danger. All my efforts to get her to lie down went ignored at best. Why she was so concerned about a backstabber and a liar, I had no idea.

Something about Gaius had rubbed me the wrong way since I'd first laid eyes on him, and I felt no different now. Mr. Perfect had been too wise, too affectionate, and sickeningly ninja-like. He'd fooled us all with the way he looked at Tane like she was the moon, pulling the tides inside of him and guiding him with her soft light.

He'd had Tane's heart in his hands; and he'd crushed it the first chance he got. And what had Tane done the second she'd seen him? Forgiven him, of course. Rushed into his arms as if she hadn't just been smiling in mine. Now, she would risk all of her friends to ensure his safety. I'd barely eaten a bite before I had been bombarded with the news. We'd all agreed to leave that night to give us time to rest, regroup, replenish, and refill our bellies.

"I should go get them," Tane murmured. She paused in her furious loop and looked out over the Oasis.

"You should eat something."

Tane cut me a dark look, as if I were joking.

"At least rest. You'll tire yourself out."

She resumed her pacing.

My wings shivered behind me as I sighed, and I gave them a good stretch. Tane had only told me snippets of her conversation with this John person, but if he was the one who'd spurred her into this death wish, then I already didn't like him.

Footsteps crunched eroded pebbles behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see an insane prophet, a preoccupied Kahla, and a wheelbarrow. Of the few Abannonians I'd met, I prefered Kahla's company. She gave me tips to strengthen my wings after my cleansing the day before, and had tossed light jokes at me for being so new to flying. I'd been standing with her when Tane had crashed into my arms, gasping about saving her guardian.

"Did you miss me, lamb?" Azurael called, his wide, knowing smile probably playing all sorts of games with Tane's mind. She'd told me how he'd tricked her into believing she was something that she could never be. After so much time alone with his mad mumbling and sudden bursts of aggression, it was no wonder she couldn't stay still for a single second anymore. On Earth, she'd been this awe-inspiring statue, graceful and patient. In Abannon, she was twitchy and restless.