THE EDITING PROCESS

Start from the beginning

So once you have let your work rest, go back to it and just start reading it. The story should drive itself forward with a strong momentum. If there are parts that feel like they are vague or unneeded, or slow the narrative down, go back over it and look at it critically. I often find in my writing between first and final draft I stumble over bits that seem more like I am trying to build the scene or are far too focused on the character's placement/actions rather than driving the plot forward. This is normal, it's part of the initial writing process as you flesh out your story and work out the scene on paper. It's what I call the scaffolding. What is important is that you take the scaffolding down as you edit. You needed it there to help you get things straight in your head and give you a foundation to move on to the next sentence/scene, but now you have finished, and just like building a house, you can take the scaffolding away once the project is done. These scaffoldy bits in your book stick out like a sore thumb as you edit because they don't flow, or seem to fit, and usually require a lot of tweaking to make it work. In many cases the scaffolding will read like telling, not showing, another big giveaway. Sometimes you need to keep the scaffolding, because it is essential, so you will have to rewrite it to move away from telling to showing. Otherwise, you can just rework it, or structure the sentences differently by breaking them up and making them snappier, or, if you are really lucky, just delete it altogether and the bits before and after fit together like a puzzle. (I love it when that happens).

An illustration at this point might be beneficial, so here is an example from the first chapter of The Call of Eternity. This excerpt is from the first draft of the first paragraph:

Along the lines of chariots, torches flared to life, their flames wavering, pinpricks of firelight, holding back the ominous depths of Amka's wood. Urhi-Teshub shifted his weight, ignoring the ache of the late autumn's cold easing into his limbs. He waited, keeping the reins wrapped around his arms, holding his horses back. The quiet clack of their teeth worrying against the metal bits comforted him, reminding him of the sounds of Tarhuntassa's stables, taking him back to a time when things had been different, when he had belonged in Hatti and would inherit the throne—when Istara had been his and not a hostage of the pharaoh's. A sharp crack rent the air. His gaze moved across the muddy, ruined plain to the siege at Ay's gate, its massive cedarwood doors buckling against his army's battering ram. He let out a slow breath, the air turning white in its wake. Not much longer now.

And here is the final published version of the first paragraph (broken into two paragraphs):

Along the line of chariots, torches flared to life. Pinpricks of wavering light spread away into the distance, holding back the ominous, murky depths of Amka's wood. Alone, within his chariot, Urhi-Teshub waited, patient, ignoring the late autumn chill seeping into his limbs. He flexed his fingers on the reins, the quiet clack of his horses' teeth worrying at their bits triggering an old memory from a time when things had been different—when he had belonged in Hatti and would inherit the throne. When Istara had been his and not a hostage of Egypt's pharaoh.

A sharp crack rent the air. Across the muddy, ruined plain the massive cedarwood doors of Ay's gates buckled against his army's battering ram. He let out a slow breath, the air turning white in its wake. Not much longer now.

To get this paragraph to the final version took three revisions. Each time I tightened it, moved on, edited the rest of the book, then did it again, and again. Other parts of the book were reworked five times. (So that means I went through the book five times, more on how I did that, below). As you go through your book, you will find the quality of your work is going to vary, some parts of will be quite solid and require little attention, other parts will make you wonder if your brain went for a hike while you wrote because you have to work so hard to get it right. It really does fluctuate, but just remember, that's normal! Persevere, it will be worth it!