Part 7

When I awoke, the world is still dark but I can't sleep so I wander the halls. I can make out very little but it feels nice to move. My fingers trail along the marble pillars as I walk, the short gown I wore did little to keep the chill out of my body. Despite the warm sunshine of the Day Court, the nights were very cold. I might as well have been naked.

A door opens in front of me and a half-naked man stumbled out of the door. His eyes were glowing and hair is mussed. He glanced back at the door with a grin.

"See you later, my Lord." Then the male walked away, tugging a tunic over his head. My eyes went to the door where Helion leaned against the door wearing- by the cauldron, he was completely naked. Face red, I take off back to my room having seen far more that I had ever needed to see of the High Lord. Once in my room, I slap the pillow over my head trying to block the memory but it was not working. By the cauldron, how could I ever look at him again? The next day, I avoid Helion like the plague and kept to my room asking Thea and Aileen for paper and pencil to draw while I was bored. I wasn't very good but I loved to doodle when I could. I rarely had time back at camp but now I had the whole day. I slept a lot too and requested food be brought to my room.

That night when I thought everyone was in their rooms I snuck down to the training room and on my way back to my own rooms, I had to walk past Helion's room. I had walked past and was almost to my room when his door opened. Damn my eyes as I look back and see a female swaggering out of his rooms. As soon as I see her, I run as fast as I can to my rooms. Its official, I would never be able to leave my room ever again.

Yet the next day I forced myself to go to the training room during the day. I found a short sword that closely resembled an illyrian blade. My body finds the rhythms of practice easily. Thrusting my sword out, I whirled to hack off an opponent's head when I see Helion staring at me.

"How did you find this place?" I drop the blade at my side, he sounded angry.

"I asked." I murmur. With three strides, Helion was standing before me.

"Who did you ask?"

"I would rather not." I say.

"I don't want you in the training room unless you have someone with you. I don't want you accidentally murdering anyone." he says with a hint of a smirk. I only nod solemnly as I stare down at my shoes. Helion lets out a loud sigh before saying, "Child, many Fae have seen me naked. You needn't be embarrassed." Child? I was no child. Though Helion was as old as my High Lord so maybe I was just a child to him. Something in the pit of my stomach twisted. I only walked past him, going back to my room.

A few hours later, I was doodling Helion in my sketchbook that Thea got me when a knock sounded at my door.

"Come in." I say. The door opens but I don't look up from my drawing as footsteps near me.

"Mmm...I don't think you got the softness of my hair quite right." I jump at the sound of Helion's voice. When our eyes meet, the grin on his face has me blushing. His smile fades as he sits on my bed which is next to the chair I am currently sitting in. "Carina, your High Lord has somehow found out you are with me. We are both in some trouble." My whole body locks up and starts to shakes. Head shaking, my wings tuck in tight with fear. "I know you are scared but I will try to help you the best I can."

"Helion, he is going to send me back and I am going to die. He cannot risk angering the Illyrians. Everyone knows it."

"I think you might be surprised by him." he says.

"I don't want to leave." Helion leans towards me and tries to tuck my hair back but I flinch away. He lets out a long sigh before standing.

"I will try my best." he says before leaving. Panic gripped me and I slid off my chair. A black hand seemed to grip my heart. Breathing comes fast as I try to calm myself to no avail.

I can do this. I can calm myself down. Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. Slowly, so slowly, my heartbeat slows and I can breath once more. I had to leave before the High Lord gets here. I felt I could trust Helion but he was only so powerful. With quick hands I pack all I can into a small bag. Adjusting it around my wings, I slip on my boots. Cracking open my door, I glance both ways to find no one in the corridor. My feet are silent as I creep through the magnificent palace. Footsteps sounded so I adjust my body to look more relaxed as I walk. A male rounds the corner and with a shock, I realize it is Zavian. My feet slows. But only for a moment as I keep walking. Zavian sees me then gives me a grin and a wink before continuing on his way. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. It took me forever to find a window or a balcony I could get out of. If one wasn't too small since it didn't have enough space for me to get my wings beating.

Ironically, the balcony I find is the one I crashed onto when I first got here. Taking a deep breath, I climb onto the railing readying myself to fly.

"You sure you want to do that?" I almost pitch forward at the sound of Helion's voice.

"Yes I am sure." I snap.

"Oh, there's the fire I knew was in you. Where will you go? Do you have money? How will you eat?"

"It doesn't matter. I have to go." I say with finality.

"Do you not trust me that much?" I freeze at the hurt in his voice. Glancing over my shoulder, I see worry etched into his eyes.

"I don't trust anyone, not even myself."

"Oh sweetheart, let me help you. I know the males you have known have never done anything to make you feel as though you can trust me but I am not them. I promise. Please come off the ledge and talk to me. Just talk, no trust involved." I bite my lip then slip back onto the balcony. "Good, alright come here sweetheart." I walk over to him, his hand held out. I hesitated but take it. Sometimes you had to trust your instincts and leap.