Chapter 15 - The brown haired girl

I sit on my bed, still wearing the dress I had put on just a few hours ago. Since bedroom was decorated all with white and grey furniture, I stuck out like a paint drop on a white canvas.
He was about to kiss me? Am I wrong to think so?
He said a relationship between us could never exist. And after he said that I started to think the same. There was no way we could have anything.
He was going in Lyre, I would fly to New York as soon we graduate. We would be on different coasts, separated by thousands of miles. Even the strongest relationships had trouble due to the distance.
I have been crushing over this boy years now. And had kissed him once. I was probably the only girl who hadn't fought to get his attention. Until now when I got dragged into a dark closet with him and me trying to shut him up by kissing him. Was I actually that stupid?
Probably.
I stand to open the zipper of the dress and let it fall on the floor. I step out of it and sit back down on my bed.
When Jordan dropped me off an hour ago, there wasn't a living soul in the house. Mom sent a text, saying she would arrive on Sunday night and Jason had left a note on the kitchen table, saying he had to meet Matt for something.
So that's why Matt left. He and Jason had better things to do than continue being my date for the dance.
Oh, I'm going to kick his ass when he gets back.

Decker's POV

I lean in, smelling the fragrance of her skin. It's intoxicatingly sweet with a hint of strawberry. When the principal said my name, picking the paper from the bowl I jumped up from my seat with joy.
Not because I was going to be paired with Juliet for the game, but because I had the chance to make her hate me a little more.
It was the only way to save her from Tiffany and so far my plan was working.
Despite my ex girlfriend going to talk to Jason about me and his sister, everything seemed to be under control.
I deserved that punch into my face when Jason came to ask me about my intensions about Juliet. I had dragged Juliet to my problems and it was my task to get her out of it.
The scene in the hallway closet keeps repeating in my head. I was trying to piss her off so she would stop liking me but I got struck by her lips before I could take a breath.
It was sudden but actually very nice. She put her arms around my neck, pulling me against her. My inside grew tense, I kept my hands by my side the whole time. She took me by surprise and on that night I didn't sleep at all.
I kept thinking if she was the one girl I could have a normal relationship with.
Matt had told me about her family; about the time Jason's and Juliet's dad took off and how much she actually misses him. Matt also told me that Jason hates him for that with fury bigger than sky above us.
She had a mother, I had my dad. Wr both were from broken families, trying to find that one person you could spend the rest of your life with. Someone who would never leave us.
I am so close to her now, both still sitting in my car, parked at the curb of her house.
I want to kiss her but I still remind myself that I need to keep her safe.
Kissing Juliet will only complicate the situation we were in and I shake my head. She keeps staring me with these beautiful eyes that draw you in so deep, it's hard to crawl out.
I hate to protect her.
"Good night!" I say to her when I settle back in my seat. She exiles, opening the car door.
"Good night!" She tells me and I smile. Her voice is so sweet, small and fragile. Or am I just imagining that?
She exits my Challenger and I turn the ignition. When I pull off the curb, I slam on the gas and make my car speed off on the street.
Why would you even want to kiss her? I ask myself and slam my right hand against the wheel.
She is the only girl who has not tried to get my attention since I started King Valley. That made me notice her. When she turned out to be Jason's sister I was surprised.
She often came to see us practice, sometimes sitting on the bleachers for hours. I always thought she was there to support her brother but when Matt mentioned to me that Juliet had a thing for me, I didn't see her as a potential girl I could date. She liked me but she kept a distance from me.
My father had rules, things he wanted me to achieve.
So I set my goals and took his advice. I applied to Lyre, begin a relationship with Tiffany and joined the King Valley football team. Now when graduation was so close and I had to make an important decision, I dumped Tiffany without thinking twice.
But it didn't mean I was starting another relationship because Tiffany was a cheating side of our relationship.
I was moving away and needed to start fresh.
Guys keep texting me, asking if I come back to the dance or not. I ignore them and start driving home.
When I reach Fortline and park my car in the garage, I sit in my Challenger for a moment. I turn off the radio and throw my head back against the headrest. If only I could forget all about  Juliet and how she makes me feel.
How does she make me feel?
I feel awkward around her, I have a hard time speaking as words get stuck in my trout.
It annoys me that a girl can work on me like this.
The lights in the garage turn on and my sister comes in, wearing a fluffy pink robe and slippers. She knocks on the driver's side window a few times but I try not to notice her.
"Jordan!" I hear her muffled voice and she knocks a little bit more furious this time.
She pulls open my door and I unbuckle.
"What?" I ask her, annoyed.
"Why are you sitting in your car?" She asks when I step out and slam the car door closed behind me. "And why are you home so early?"
"Because I want to. Stop interrogating me, Colleen!" I bark at my sister, passing her and entering the house.
She follows me up the stairs and into my bedroom. I try to close the door in front of her face but she puts her foot between and I give up.
"Did you win the crown?" She asks and sits down on my bed, wrapping her arms around her chest.
"I did."
"Where is it?"
"Still in school."
I take unbutton my dress shirt and take the belt off my pants.
"Get out, so I can change," I say to her but she doesn't move.
"I was wondering if you could drive me to King Valley on Friday. There is a new restaurant opening. I want to go check it out." She stands up.
"Yeah, sure," I reply, agreeing so I can get her to leave.
"Awesome!"

The next week I am busy with practice and school. The Championship games are starting on Saturday and I am making our team practice almost every day.
A few weeks ago something happened that I have kept to myself. Ms. Davis put a pass on me and I am considering reporting her. But I am afraid. Could she do something with my grades so I can't graduate? I am so close to finishing King Valley and the bare thought of staying one more year here makes my hair stand up.
It's Friday night again and I promised Colleen to drive her to King Valley for a restaurant opening. She loves all kind of food and eats twice as much as I do in one day. I can't figure out how the constant eating doesn't show her body rounding up.
When we pull up to the red brick building, I see a crowd waiting outside. Dozens of people in nice clothes, chit chatting while smoking cigarettes.
A blond haired girl comes out as I and Colleen enter. The girl gives me an approving look, running her eyes down on me.
The restaurant is full. Slow music echoes through the speakers and waitresses are running around with plates, filled with food. I smell scented candles burning, the atmosphere in the room is tense.
"I hope we find a place to sit." Colleen leans in, looking behind me.
"We? No. I just dropped you off. I want to make sure that you are not left hanging." I say, zipping close my leather jacket and tucking my hands into its pockets.
"But it's food. You can't refuse. And also I'm buying." She slaps my shoulder.
"Nah, I'll wait until you get seated and then go hang out with Kyle. And when you are done, just call me and I will pick you up." I reply, taking out my phone to call Kyle and confirm where he's at.
"Oh, hey." I hear my sister yell over the restaurant and look up. Colleen moves away from me and toward one table. A girl with brown hair hugs her but I can't see who she is. Her back is facing me.
Must be my sister's classmate.
I sent Kyle a message, saying I'm on my way soon.
"Have you met my brother?" I hear Colleen say and I look up from my phone.
"Hey." She replies, her voice shaky.
"Juliet."