Chapter 7 - The Speech

We arrive at Matt's just few minutes after 9, the driveway is packed with empty cars, parked caotically. Matt parks his car on the street curb and we all exit. I can see movement throw the large windows, people holding these typical red cups, filled with beer or another alcoholic drink. As we walk toward the backyard, there are young girls screaming and running around in skimpy outfits. I think I was the only senior here who had the most clothing on.

We pass a group of King Valley team players and they all jump up from the outside seating area, when they see Jason. "Hey man, long time no see!" Mike pats on his back and the other guys join us. "Sorry about the team, couch really made a big mistake throwing you out." Parker runs his hand throw his blond hair, making it all messy and stand up. "Well, I'm sure you do fine without me. Your new captain here," Jason points at the gazebo not so far from us where Jordan and Tiffany are talking to each other, "will lead you all to victory!" He laughs and shakes everyones hands before turning toward the house. "So. A drink?" He looks at me and snakes a hand around my shoulder, pulling me against him.

This what he always did. Every time we went somewhere he never left me out from anything he did. He knew I wasn't comfortable around all these Upper class people, so he always made sure I felt secure. "Sure. Why not!" I hug him back and all the guys stare at us. On that point, people had turned their attension to us; girls started whispering, pointing toward me. First I thought that it was about how I looked, but something told me it wasn't about that.

I push throw a mass of seniors when we enter Matt's living room. A round table was already set in the middle of it. In the dead center, the team's logo was glued to it- a brown monkey dressed in blue shorts and a yellow tank top with a number 22 on it was in a dance motion holding a throphy above his head.  Since Jason wasn't the King Valley's team's captain anymore, the task for the speech belonged to Decker now.

When we reach the kitchen where all the snack bowls and a box of beer is set on the dinner table, I scan the room for anything without alcohol.

Whisky, vodka, rum- all hard liquer.

"There is few cans of coke in the fridge!" Someone says behind me.

Parker leans against the kitchen counter and crosses his arms on his chest. Wearing just a white v-neck t-shirt his bare arms reveal all his tight muscles. I ignore him, barely giving him a second glance while I opened the enourmous double-doored fridge and take a small coke. Jason had already crabbed a beer and was talking to a girl with long blond hair, wearing a short black dress that barely covered her private area. He would give me few nods and return to the girl standing infront of him.

"So pretty!" I hear Parker mumble and his eyes scan me from top to toe. I open the coke and pour it into a tall glass. "So you don't like to talk? Fine with me!" He keeps gawking. This really made me feel uncomfortable. But just in time, we both hear Jordan asking everyone to gather around. I make my way to the living room, Parker right behind me. Every sole in this party had cramped together into the small living room, shoulder by shoulder. I search Jason with my eyes and when I finally see him, he is already waving me to join him by his side. As I push through a mass of people, all of them on their tiptoes, eager for this years speech. I join Jason by his side and he pulls me close, a beer still in his hand.

We wait.

And wait.

Jordan looks around the room; making sure everyone would be there. A huge breath, hands in his jeans pockets, he starts.

"Last year I was one of you, waiting for a speech that would prepare us for this years matches. This year..." he pauses for a moment and looks straight at us," this year I want to be one of you, again. I'm not your captain... well technically I am but the guy who should be standing here is Jason. He is the one who have made our team on of the best ones out there."

He makes his way to us and extends his hand to Jason.

" Come one man, it's your team, not mine!" Jordan nods his head toward the table and Jason releases me from his hug to shake Decker's hand.

And then they switch places.

Jason hands me his beer and smiles. I'm now standing next to Jordan, my mind going hey-wire, a brush of his arm against my shoulder makes me shiver in delight, but I gather myself just in time for Jason's speech.

"I'm here today infront of you with a proud feeling. I know how much work we've done and sweat and blood we have poured to get here, being one of the Top 10 football teams of this country. I'm proud, because even though I won't be joining you this year, I know that what ever happens, we still keep on improving." I looked around the room and everybody stay silent in their spot, all eyes and ears. He was a respected guy and a player; people looked up to him, especially the team.

"I know for a fact that this year's Championship games will give you enough practice, so some of you may be scouted for international teams." He waves his hands as asking all the team players to gather around the table. In a matter of seconds the table is surrounded by all King Valley players and Jordan, who was still standing beside me joined them as  well.

"This year I need you to make us proud, taking what ever measure possible to beat our oponents. This year I'm waiting for you to give every thing you have, 100% in every game. This doesn't matter if we win or lose- I'm proud of all of you." He looks at everyone standing beside him and nods, wide smile decorating his face.

The speech had ended, everyone still stood silently as Jason pointed to a beer in my hand. I hold my hand out while he reached for it. He raises the bottle, about to toast to everyone around him. "We are here for a good reason. To celebrate, rejoice and get as drunk as possible. Because...." Jason points a finger to Jordan, indicating to finish his sentence. Decker raises his beer and takes a breath:" Because no alcohol during the games." It was a rule Jordan had come up with being the team's captain on his first year. Guys would drink during the Championship games time and wouldn't get on practice on time. He exprected full effort in every game, but hungovers prevented it.

On que, every person in this room raised up their drink and waited for Jason to give permission. "Here, here!" Was all he said and every one repeated it after him. "Here, here!" I also shout out and clink glasses with Jason. The music is turned back on and people start exiting, giving us space to finally take a breather. The room lacked air and I motioned Jason to walk me outside. As we make it to the terrace, I bring myself taking three hard breaths, filling my lungs with cold April air. Oxygen with a slight hint of cut grass made my nose twitch, remembering as the spring came, my allergie returned with a vengence.

"Go, mingle. Talk to people." Jason pulled me close and clinked his bottle against my glass. We were surrounded by girls and boys talking, touching each other and drinking. Hard liquer bottles were opened and now there was only one aim for them. To get as drunk as possible and hook up. It wasn't anything I wanted to do. I looked up to Jason and he gives me a reasuring squeeze. "I'll find Matt!" I tell him and he releases me. I turn back for once to see Jason crowed by his former team mates, shaking hands and laughing.

If there was anyone on this party I could talk to, it was Matt. I didn't have much friends, him being the only one meant that I would go find him, talk until we were bored and then he would take me home.