Chapter 4 -Stick in your ass

Great. Like always I screw up something good. It was such a compliment and I didn't feel great about that.

Work ended half eight, it got quiet after seven but I helped to clean up the kitchen and Calvin was so grateful, letting me leave after that.  It was Friday, and the last bus had already left. So I called Jason to come pick me up. He seemed angry, when we talked on the phone, but he still agreed to drive to Fortline. I sit in the diner, books scattered on the table. If it was a hour drive from King Valley by bus, it took only 40 minutes with car. Might as well do something useful.

We hadn't locked the door, hoping to get more costumers. I was on the middle of doing some equations when the bell above the door rang.

"A large black coffee, please. No sugar." A familiar voice said.

I turn to look who it is. Of course it's Jordan. I quickly turn back, my eyes landing in the mirror what hung on the wall ahead of me. I could see everything. Him leaning against the counter, hair all up and messy. Looking as hot like always. All girls know the feeling when you get all giddy inside, when you dream of someone and they finally noticed you. But now, the only thing I could feel, was fear.

Oh Lory, don't make me make his coffee.

But I think she couldn't read my mind because a second later... "Juliet! Can you help me with this?" I lowered my head, oh no God, don't make me do this; I prayed silently. It was in just few seconds until she called again. "Coming!" I said, closing all my books and shoving them into my bag. I called Jason 34 minutes ago, so he will arrive soon.

"There is something wrong with the coffee machine!" I looked at Lory who was desperately pushing the buttons like it was a complicated piece of machinery. "Hey, let me help you with that! Now see, all settings are messed up!" I give her my 'oh-no' look, rolled my eyes and turned some knobs, pushed few buttons, until all was good and dandy.

"This young man would like a coffee," she took a cup from the rack and pointed at the cash register, I didn't look, didn't even turn. "No sugar, please!" He added and I pushed the button on the espresso machine, filling the cup with hot steaming coffee. We had a signature blend of beans ordered in, and as a coffee-freak I knew what a really good coffee tasted like. "Here!" I put the coffee in front of him and forbid myself to look at him.

"Thank you Juliet!" He says, gives the money and sits under a window, next to the table where all my stuff was. Just in time I see a silver Audi pull up the diner's door and it's my qui to leave.  "Ok Lory, see you tomorrow!" I crab my things and wave her goodbye before exiting.

"So what made you tick today?" I sit in the car and buckle up. He just gives me a death glare and starts the car. Few miles in and uncomfortable silence is killing me. "How's football practice going? Big game is coming up?" Still silence. "There are purple bunnies running over the bridge here. You should slow down." I try to catch his attention by saying random stupid stuff. Not even a look, he keeps his hands on the steering wheel, focused on the road. Couple of minutes later I'm still so interested why he's not talking to me. Today morning he was all friendly and annoying, judging my hairdo and now he is all quiet and angry. But I think it's not about me. I turn on the radio and a Taylor Swift's song is playing. I look out from the window and hum along the lyrics. I've never liked this song, but its catchy.

Say you will remember me, standing in a nice dress, stairing at the sunset...

I keep humming along, fingers tapping the dashboard. This annoys him enough, he breaks the silence with only one word: "Stop!"

"Hey. Trying to enjoy a song here!" I turn to his direction, slapping his hand of my knee what had started bounching to the beat. "You don't even like Taylor!" He snaps at me, turning himself to my direction. "And?" Can't I even enjoy music anymore? "So what's the matter, huh? What happened ?" I ask.

Being a younger sister I always made sure that if he got pissed, it wouldn't be about me. "Nothing. Nothings wrong, ok!" Jason pushes the accelerator, car picks up speed.
"So why is there a stick in your ass?" I make a comeback. "There is nothing wrong, ok!" If he was pissed before, then now he was madly furious. I lean back into my seat and watch the road ahead. I know something had happened, I could always see if he was different and lately there hasn't been these mood swing storms.
He is my older brother; my protector and my friend. If there's something wrong, I want to know about it. But also I know that if I keep pushing, he might crack and kick me out from the car; leave in the middle of nowhere. I can't be sure but better sure than sorry.

When we finally reach King Valley, I start thinking of Lory's proposal. A restaurant manager- what a stupid idea. Does she truly thrust me enough to make all these decisions by myself? I just turned 18 last month, I'm barely an adult. I need to call her and decline.

But first things first- I need a shower! At home I lock myself into my room and turn the music up. Maroon 5's She will be loved is the first song in my playlist and step into the shower. Letting my hair down, I look into the mirror and shake my head in disapproval, never again I will let someone do this to me.
I wash my hair and rinse off the shampoo, apply my favorite conditioner and wash my body with strawberry scented body wash. Mix of strawberry and lemonade fill up the steaming hot shower. Oh I loved the smell.
After I rinse all off, I wrap myself into a huge cotton towel, ready to shave, clean my face and brush my teeth. My bathroom was a spa for me, even though it wasn't luxurious or anything. I had lighted candles, turned up the music and wasted a ton of water, just standing under the shower, letting it caress my body. Before falling on my bed, I rewrote all my homework into my notepad and turned off all lights and music. It was little after midnight when I closed my eyes and let sleep take me.