chapter 5

Chapter 5 - Crossroads of the Heart

Jodi's P.O.V

There was a knock on my door around 1 p.m. the following day. When I opened the door, it was James, looking rather dashing in his suit, his chiseled jaw catching the sunlight in his hair. I stood there in awe; this is the man I remember loving, the man who scooped me off my feet, the man I fell madly in love with. I will always love him, but he is in love with someone else, a father to someone else's child!

"Can I come in?" he asks with a huge smile on his face.

I open the door wider. "Sure, come inside. I wouldn't dream of stopping you."

"So where's the little man?"

"He's in his room sleeping. I just put him down for his midday nap; he will be up soon! I just have to finish cleaning all of his toys before he is up again, and I won't have the chance to finish cleaning still now this is what are the rules. I mean, do you have a contract? I want to see it. I want to know what I'm getting myself into before signing this or making any major decision that involves Jamie. His safety comes first, okay?"

"Here it is in the contract; it's dated. You have to live with me for a year at my estate. You will not stop me from spending time with my son. You are welcome to come with us, but you won't, in any way, impede on our time together. I really just want to get to know my son," said James. "I mean, he's a big boy now, and I wasn't there when he was born. I didn't know what it was like to hold him in my arms when he was that small. I wasn't even there for you, to rub your back when it hurt, to give in to your weird cravings that you might have had. I miss you. I miss the life that we had, and one minute you were here, the other you were gone, just like magic. I searched everywhere for you that night when I saw that you left. I didn't know what I did to cause you to leave me like that. You are my soulmate. I love you forever, but I despise you for leaving me and not letting me know my son."

"You need to make preparations to come to the estate at once. I don't care what preparations you have to make. Within the next two weeks, I will be sending a car to get you, and you need to be all packed because you won't be leaving the estate for a while. Don't worry about Jamie and what he might need; I'll make sure that he has everything that he needs for his comfort. I just pray that everything will work out fine when's that, I said. I'm not sure why you can't separate my son from me, but no more unless you want me to win full custody of him. You cannot be ready. I mean, why wouldn't the judge grant me full custody of my child? I can find and provide financial support for all that he needs, and I did a little digging, and I see where you're short on funds. Is that why you're here, trying to get a new job? No worries; I won't make it hard for you. You can just sign the contract right here."

"So, aren't you going to ask me why I'm here? You're just going to assume because I'm low on money that I'm here to look for a job. My grandma just passed, you insensitive little bastard, but no worries. I'll bring Jamie over to you; I'll show you that I'm a different person than you. I'm not so heartless that I would ignore someone and how they feel just because they're blood; they are family. But get this straight, you will never be the love of my life again. As soon as this year is up, I will be taking my son, and we will be leaving. You will not get my son; he will be staying with me until he is 18, at that time he will legally able to make that decision. Now, he is my son. I know I will take him with me when I leave. I will not leave him behind to get corrupted as needed. I really thought that you were someone different, someone I could spend the rest of my life with. You always said that your dad was so heartless, but still, you are the same, James. You might not realize it, but you are just look at this situation now; this is exactly something that he would do, and I can't stand the thought of it."

"Mommy, who is it? Mommy, why are you talking so loud? Oh, hi. Who are you? I am Jamie. 

"Hey, bud, you remember me from last night? We had mint chocolate ice cream, and we were watching that movie?"

" Oh, I remember. Yes, Mommy, is the man going to join us today?" Jamie asked.

" I don't think that he will be joining us; he has a lot more important things to do" Jodi answered.

"Of course, I can join you!" James answered ecstatically.

 "You know you can't because I haven't signed the papers yet."

"Get ready for court, and do me a favor and don't try to run, okay?" He said as he went and walked out the door. I rushed to lock the door and then grabbed Jamie in my arms and gave him a big hug and a big kiss.