Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Jodi's P.O.V.

James stared unblinking at Jamison.

Shit.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

He found out.

"Mom," Jamison called, tugging at my hand.

I just kept staring at James, who kept staring at Jamison.

"Mom!" Jami called again. His calls are what broke the spell. I quickly picked up Jami in my arms, turned, and started heading towards the exit.

I heard footsteps behind me.

"Jodi, wait."

I pretended I didn't hear and continued out of the zoo. I didn't expect this. I really didn't. I need to get away from here this instant.

"Jodi, stop. We need to talk," he said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I sighed and stopped. I closed my eyes. I never intended for him to find out. Ever.

"Jodi, look at me," he demanded. "Look at me, damn it!"

I opened my eyes and gazed into his sky-blue eyes.

"Is this my son?" I let my gaze fall to my feet.

"Answer me this instant, Jodi. Is he my son?" My eyes started to water. I can't deal with this. Not right now.

"For God's sake, Jodi, he has my eyes. He looks the same way I did around his age." A faint smile touched my lips at hearing this.

Heart pounding, I looked up at him. James Miller in all his glory stood before me with a shocked look on his face. He still looked like a god with his perfectly styled hair, perfectly cut suit, and his body in perfect condition. Basically, he was still perfect.

"No, he isn't," I said, trying to convince him. More like I'm trying to convince myself.

"Don't bullshit me, Jodi. I know that he is mine," he said. I saw the muscle above his eye twitch. He is getting angry. I need to leave.

I walked hurriedly around James to get to where I parked my car. I sighed in relief when I realized he didn't follow me. He is the last person I expected to see. Not after I ran away that night. Not after everything I heard him say about me. I strapped Jami into his car seat and gave him his tablet. I got in the car quickly and drove off in a hurry. I just didn't want to be there in case he decided to come after me again. I don't know if I could fend him off.

I loved him. No. I still love him. I pounded the steering wheel. I can't still love him. No, no, no.

"Mommy, what's wrong?" Jami asked. "Why are you mad, mommy? Did I do something wrong?"

I glanced up at the rearview mirror in time to see his bottom lip quiver. "No, baby, you didn't do anything wrong. Mommy is just a tad bit upset because I didn't get to see the monkeys."

He smiled at this. He is such an angel. "Mom, we can see the monkeys another time. I'm hungry now, and I want pizza. Please, can I have pizza, mom?" This boy will be the death of me.

"Of course," I said, smiling back at him. The thought of James flew out of my head as I started to consider where in this city I can find the best pizza.

James' P.O.V.

She has a son. We have a son. A little boy that looks exactly like me. But how? We only slept together that one time, and she said she was on the pill. Argh! What the hell.

I stood there, hoping that she would come back and explain everything to me. Why did she run away? I searched everywhere for her. It's like she dropped off the face of the earth. No one has seen her since the night of my dad's birthday party.

A part of me left with her. I never felt more miserable or restless before she left. I poured my heart and soul into my family's business. Nothing else was important. Nothing other than Jodi, who I just found out is very much alive.

I've missed her so much, and I will be damned if I let her go again. There must be something that I can do. I need her. I need our family.

I made my way to my car. I need to get to the hotel. I have some brainstorming to do.

Jodi's P.O.V.

I tucked James in and kissed his forehead. Quietly as I could, I made my way out of his room. I looked at my angel. I closed the door softly. I turned and went into the living room and crashed on the couch. That night has been playing over and over in my head.

Flashback

"What do you mean she is pregnant? I never touched her."

I inched closer to the study where the voices were coming from.

"She is pregnant; I saw the test. Son, you better man up and take full responsibility for this. You did this, now go out there and make it right. I know you love her; I see the secret looks you both share."

How did he know? I had been so careful. "I'm not taking responsibility for something I didn't do. I don't love her, and the only look that is on my face when I look at her is disgust. I don't know how she got pregnant; I never slept with her. I bet this is another of her schemes to get her hands inside my pocket and to be associated with my name. I hate that lying bitch. I don't want her anywhere near me; I will strangle her if she comes within a foot of me, so help me God. And that so-called baby isn't real. The relationship that we have is forced-"

I had heard enough. Clearly, he doesn't want me here. I was a mistake to him. I quickly ran to our room—I mean, his room—packed the small bag I had and escaped through the kitchen door. I never looked back after.