Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - Unveiling Emotions

Jodi's P.O.V

I glanced down at Jami and saw tears streaming down his face.

"Oh no. Jami, I'm so sorry, baby. Please don't cry; Mom didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry."

He was full-out sobbing now, and he wasn't going to stop. It was always like this—I could never get him to stop.

James stooped to Jami's height. "Hey, little man, how are you doing? Well, I guess that's a dumb question since you are crying. How about you come inside, and I order some mint chocolate chip ice cream, and we could share it between you and me, bud. I hope your mom doesn't mind."

Jami was actually smiling with him and nodded his head shyly.

"Is that OK, Jodi?" James asked.

I looked at Jami, his blue-green eyes looking intently at me. I was just stunned through it all because I could never get him to stop crying, and for his dad to get it right on his first try. Well, it's his dad.

"OK. Sure," I said.

"Come on, bud. I have this huge TV, and I bet you will like that," James said, winking at him.

"Cool!" Jami shouted and ran ahead of us in search of the TV. I'm shocked that Jami took to James so quickly; he is always shy around people.

"MOM! It's huge! Come see! Come see!" Jami ran back to me and grabbed my fingers and pulled me towards the living room. And it was.

James had already turned it on to Nick Jr and was ordering ice cream.

"Ahh, look Jodi, I'm sorry about the court thing, but you ran off so suddenly that I didn't even get the chance to talk to him. Obviously, he is my son, and I would really like to get to know him, but that wasn't in your intention."

"You got him to stop crying," I said, glancing at Jami on the couch. " I could never get him to stop, but you did on your first try." I turned to look at James; his face was glowing. "But that doesn't mean that I'm going to let you into his life."

"That's why we are taking it to the judge," he said, starting to get angry.

"No, we are not!" I shouted, quickly glancing at Jami and saw that he was into the show that he didn't hear me. "I'm not letting my son go through that. It would kill him. Do you really want him to experience that?" I asked angrily.

"Do you want that, Jodi? No, you don't. All you have to do is let me get to know him. You can move back into the house with me."

"Are you out of your freaking mind? I will never move back into that house."

"So then can I get to know him then? I need to know him, Jodi. Please?"

"I'll think about it."

I went and gathered a sleeping Jami in my arms and went towards the door when James touched my arm.

"When can I get an answer?" He asked.

"Tomorrow. You know where to find me." With that, I walked out the door.