Chapter 7- Hey, C.

Start from the beginning

I went out and crossed the street, heading for the shop. I stopped in front of the door as I reached down my pocket for the keys. Once I had it, I unlocked the door and went inside. The chimes jingled, making me smile as a sense of belonging surge through me.

This is where I belong. Not in companies with skyscraper buildings located in busy streets. But here.

Feeling anxious, I quickly reached inside my coat's pocket and grabbed my phone before sitting by the counter. After unlocking it, I dialed his number.

After a few rings, he picks it up.

"Brooke." He says with a gruff voice.

"Brooke." A giggle escapes me.

"Very funny, Mon." He says and I could sense his smile over the line.

"Hey, C." I said and before I could hear his reply, I hear a few sounds of shouting on the background making my eyes widen. "If this is a bad time, I could call on a different time."

"No, it's fine. We barely talk to each other anyway. So, any particular reason why you called?" Clark says and I sat on a chair behind the desk.

"Just... I don't know." I paused and sighed. "A bad day, I guess."

"Why? Did someone do something to you?" He asks curiously.

"It's just...I met this guy an--"

"Ooh. A guy. Details details." He says with a teasing voice making me roll my eyes.

"It's not what you think. Anyway, I'm working with him on this project. And I told him I graduated a degree on Interior Design. He kinda--"

"Told you why you decided to work as a seller of antiques instead of being a interior designer." He continues for me making me nod.

"Yeah. And I'm-- I don't know. There are days that I ask myself if I did the right decision coming here. You could say today is one of those days." I say and sigh.

"Mon, do you remember the time you almost drowned saving a kid back in Hawaii?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Everyone was so angry at you for risking your life yet you were just laying there smiling. I asked you why and you sai--"

"I did it because I wanted to." I said it and smiled.

I was probably 11 or 12 back when we had a vacation in Hawaii. We rarely have vacations and I enjoyed that one. Before you ask, vacations isn't really meant for bonding. When we're having vacation one was probably over the phone or ignoring one another. Well, except for Clark and I, I guess.

"Right there and then, I admired you. You always had that courage to follow what you want and I envied that. This decision of yours to move in to Maryland was never a bad decision. You followed your heart, which rarely happens for people in our family, and I admire you for that. I'm proud of you for what you did."

He was just halfway on what he said when tears started to build up in my eyes. Clark wasn't always perfect, yet he was a good brother. Being closest brother that I had, he was always someone I could ask for help and for advice despite the fact that he was the oldest and I was the youngest of the four.

"Thank you, C. I'm feeling a lot better now." I said with a smile.

"No problem. You know I'm always here you, baby brother."

"And I love you for that. I probably took too much of your time so I gotta go." I said and chuckled.

"Nonsense. I will always be here to talk to you whenever you need me. Will you be home for Christmas?" He asks making me smile.