Cigarettes to Fill Solitude

As he stepped out the doors of the airport, Viktor took a deep breath, smiling. He felt the cool, crisp late October air flow through his lungs.

Today was the day.

Today was the day he would finally meet him in person. The beautiful Japanese man he'd been talking to for around nine months lived about an hour away from the airport. Viktor would see him today. In a little over an hour, Viktor would finally meet the man he was hopelessly in love with in person.

He was betond excited. He couldn't keep the goofy grin off his face. He sat down on a bench nearby and took out his phone, waiting for his cab to pick him up. He opened his messages and tapped on his boyfriend's number. He held the phone up to his ear and waited, listening to each ring as he watched for his cab. Soon, a soft, warm voice greeted him.

"Hello?"

"Hey Yuuri!" He said excitedly. He heard a soft chuckle from the other end.

"Hey Viktor, are you here?"

"Yep! I just got off my flight, I'm waiting for my cab right now! I'm so excited to see you!" He cheered happily. He coukd practically hear the gentle smile Yuuri had on his soft face through the phone.

"I'm excited to see you too!" He replied. Viktor's grin widened as a light rose dusted his cheeks. He noticed a taxi pull up in front of him and waved it down.

"Oh, well, my cab just got here! I gotta go, but I'll see you soon, ok?" He said as he gathered his suitcase and messenger bag.

"Okay! See you soon, Viktor! Text me so I know you aren't dead!" Yuuri teased. Viktor chuckled.

"Don't worry, I will! Bye babe!" He said as he headed towards the cab.

"Bye Vik!" He replied before hanging up.

Viktor smiled softly and stuffed his phone into the pocket of his dark grey slacks. He opened the back door of the small car and squeezed his things into the seat next to him before hopping in. He huffed lightly and straightened his clothes out as he gave the address to the driver and buckled in. As the driver began to drive, he started to make small talk.

"So, you don't seem like you're from around here. You look pretty well-dressed too, you here on business or something?" He asked. Viktor shook his head.

"No, no, I'm from Russia, I'm here to meet someone, I just want to make a good first impression." He explained. The driver nodded.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you meeting? A friend or family? Gonna go sightseeing?"

"Sort of, but no, I'm meeting my boyfriend. We haven't actually met in person yet, so he wants to take me around his hometown and stuff. We'll probably be doing quite a bit of sightseeing." He chuckled.

"Ah, that's nice! How long have you two been dating?"

"Six- actually, closer to seven months now. We met through instagram about nine months ago and things just kinda happened." He explained, smiling to himself as he looked out the window.

"Aw, that's nice. Well, I hope everything goes well!" He said. Viktor's smile widened.

"Arigato! I hope so too." He sighed dreamily.

=====

The rest of the drive dragged on uneventfully. The hour ling drive felt like years to Viktor, who was beyond excited to see his Yuuri in person. The driver was quiet most of the time, but occasionally he woukd strike up some casual conversation. Viktor liked him, he was polite and easy to talk to, and the conversations often made the drive less painful.