Wednesday - September 22

Ring! Ring! Ring! Ring!

"What? What?" I manage to articulate from my dry mouth. I close my eyes and soon realize that the annoying ringing sound I hear is the telephone.

"What? Who?" I ask, as I start to pull myself up from the couch in my office. What the hell! The phone continues to ring, annoying me to no end.

Quickly, I leap from the couch, nearly tripping over my own two feet, and stretch to grab the phone before it rings one more time. I pick it up, and say, "Yes, yes, what is it? This is Dr. Bennett. What is it? Who is this?"

As I wait for a reply, I grab a hold of my desk to support myself before I tumble to the floor. Finally, I hear a voice.

"John, this is Julie. Stay in your office. We'll be there in three minutes." Click.

"What? Julie? What did you say?" I soon realize she had disconnected. I slam the phone down on the receiver and make my way around my desk so I can sit. It feels like an eternity, but I finally achieve my goal.

I lay my head back and close my eyes, wondering what Julie said. I open my eyes when I remember what had happened to me earlier. That wasn't a dream! I was somewhere else besides the CDC! The Plaza! That's what the president called it: the Plaza.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

I lift my head up in apprehension, wondering who's knocking. I check my desk to see if I have a weapon of some sort, but I can't find anything. Whoever, or whatever is in control, has got me over the barrel. I slowly and reluctantly lift myself from my chair to open the door to the unknown.

I open the door, and who stands before me, is none other than that lying bitch Julie, President Mansoor, and a man I've never seen before. In silence, the three enter my office single file and find seats for themselves. Julie offers the president my desk chair, but the president puts her hand up in protest and makes herself comfortable on the couch instead. I close the door and sit in my chair quietly. Accompanied with great worrisome, I stare at the trio, wondering what they want.

As I sit and stare at the three uninvited guests, I clear my throat and ask, "Well, what's happening today, folks? Are we off for another ride somewhere, or what?" I look at Julie, then the president, but not the man. He's a small-framed man, but he looks dangerous to me. I wonder who he is. President Mansoor is the first to speak.

"Dr. Bennett, please forgive us, but as you know time is of the essence. We have less than twenty-four hours to extinguish this plague, or we're all doomed. Doctors' Stewart and Jensen have been working diligently on the cure for the last forty-eight hours. They're both exhausted, but very hopeful." The president is silent for a moment, and then continues, "We need you to come with us to the conference room, Dr. Bennett. There are some people who have been waiting to meet you."

As the three begin to stand, assuming that I'm fine with what scheme they're planning, I shout out, "I don't think so." All three stop in their tracks.

Julie says, "I told you he would be difficult."

"Damn right I'm difficult." I get up and walk over to Julie, and with a hard, cold stare, I say, "You are a murderer, a liar, and there's no way in hell that I would ever trust you again, let alone go anywhere with you... any of you. You made this mess, so go and fix it yourselves!" I start to leave my office when President Mansoor says, "Claire needs your help, Dr. Bennett."

I spin around and I just want to punch the president right in her face. But I compose myself and let out a small giggle and say, "Nice try, Lady. Nice try." I turn the doorknob and begin to exit.

"John! John!" yells Julie."If you don't do this, you will be the murderer of humankind. Yes, John, you will be the reason for humanity's non-existence."