Monday - September 13

A bitterly, cold September morning arrives in Atlanta, exhibiting fiercely howling winds, introducing winter commencement, which will soon cause widespread chaos among the once thriving metropolis. Snow in Atlanta arrives early ever since global warming changed the weather pattern cycles in 2025. Atlanta's skyline glistens as virgin snow begins to envelop her majestic towers. Night's cover is rapidly dismissed ready to reveal the day's events.

As the Sun begins to filter through our quaint bedroom window, I uncurl myself within my warm bed and gaze at my wife, Claire, sleeping angelically. Not wanting to awaken her, I quietly reach over and turn off the alarm clock before silence is interrupted by its annoying sound. I return my head back to my pillow, wondering how cold and treacherous it will be walking to work today. After a few moments of wishing I could return to slumber, I tell myself to get up and get ready for what would soon seem like a very long week.

Reluctantly, I force myself to tear away the covers and sit on the edge of the bed. After a few seconds of wishing I could still sleep, I stand and take a long stretch. With my head lowered, I slowly drag myself to the bathroom. Upon closing the door, I hear a loud bang outside. Not caring what it is, I begin my morning ritual of preparing for work.

I step into the shower, set the timer, and start to wash away nights slumber. After a few moments, the shower door opens up, startling me out of my wits.

"Good morning, lover boy," says Claire, as she eyeballs my jewels.

I lower my arms from shampooing and reply, "Hello, baby. Did I wake you?"

With a girlish giggle, Claire softly says, "Nope. I heard a noise outside and I thought that maybe it was you. But then I realized you were showering, so it couldn't have been you." She looks at me with her beautiful green eyes and I smile at her as I become intoxicated by her beauty.

Claire glances over her shoulder saying, "You have two minutes left, love. You better rinse that shampoo out, or you'll be wearing a bubble cap all day." Claire closes the shower door, and soon after, I hear a deep sigh as she begins to relieve herself.

"Hey," she says, "that issue we spoke to Stan Roberts about on Friday, has he come up with any ideas yet?"

When the water turns off automatically, I step out, grab a towel, and say, "Yes, I did. He suggests that we should wait until after winter. It sounds like a good idea to me."

"Well, not to me!" Claire responds in disgust. Done with her business, the toilet auto flushes, and while washing her hands, she adds, "We've been trying for five years, John. How much longer do we have to wait?"

Not sure on how I should respond to her disappointment, I drop my towel and caress her in my arms. I whisper in her ear, "Soon, baby, soon." I hear her sniffling, so I grab her chin and kiss her passionately on her sweet lips.

Claire gives me a small smile, and with teary eyes she whispers, "Okay."

Embracing her as if she were a fragile china doll, I kiss Claire on her forehead saying, "I have to get dressed. It's getting late." Approving with a slight nod of her head, we both release each other from our warm embrace.

I pick up the towel I dropped and finish drying. I go to the closet to grab my clothes, adding, "But I did talk to Matt Mason to see if the process could be speeded up, instead of having to do everything by the book." I head towards the bed to get dressed, as I wait for a response from Claire. I turn around and see her staring out the bedroom window. I toss my clothes on the bed, and go to her, gently placing my hands on her shoulders. Together, we watch the children as they walk to school.

Claire turns to me, pleading, "Please, John, please!" Practically begging, she continues, "We've been married nine years, John. I want a child before we get any older." Sadly, she turns around and continues to watch the children. I kiss her softly on her head and return to get dressed.