IV ~ Past Lives

{Past Lives - Børns}

"...Lost love is sweeter when it's finally found, I've got the strangest feeling this isn't our first time around, past lives couldn't ever come between us, sometimes the dreamers finally wake up..."

----

There was always that little part of me that believed that every good thing in my life would somehow come crashing down at some point, leaving me in a constant state of hyper-vigilance about seeping up all of the good like it was sunlight before the dark and the rain would descend in its cold and depressing way. There always has to be a balance, good to bad, and the knowledge that nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts. No amount of pain can last forever. No silence does not get interrupted. There is no temporary goodbye without another hello.

----

16th October

The sun heated the sheets on my bed as it sat soaked in its morning glow. My legs stretched out in bed as I felt its warmth and the sound of knocking from my door. I groaned, turning over in bed, wishing to go back to sleep. The knocks only became louder before I gave in to the waking world.

"Can't I get any peace to sleep?" My voice croaked with its early morning tiredness.

"Well you slept through both of your alarms, so excuse me for making sure you hadn't slipped into a coma after too many champagne's last night," Bodhi yawned his sassy reply while Cady padded around my bedroom, coffee in-hand. I sat up, surrounded by my bed covers and my array of pillows scattered around where my head had lain happily moments before. 

"Wait..." I stretched, my mind beginning to catch up with reality. "Shit, did I miss my lecture?!" I asked, staring at my alarm clock which read 10:42 am in its digital screen.

"Calm down," Bodhi smiled. "Your lecture got postponed. There was an alert on your phone. I wasn't snooping; it just buzzed a little too loudly." His voice was low, clearly hungover. "You've to be in the auditorium at 4:30 pm this afternoon instead."

We looked like zombies, all quiet and dishevelled after having emerged from our respective caves to welcome one another to another cold morning in the big apple. Cady, in particular, was looking extremely ravishing with a towel wrapped around her head, a pair of jeans and a jumper making her look like some 90's icon. She smelled like berries, a stark contrast from her coffee that wafted through my senses.

"Nice to see you're not even slightly hungover, Cady," I teased.

"That makes one of us," Bodhi sighed, rubbing his temples and squinting his eyes at the sun.

"I don't need to drink to have a good time," she confirmed, knocking both Bodhi and me down a peg or two. "And I got to talking to some interesting people. Mark's people."

"Like who?" I yawned again, taking up her offer of a sip of his coffee as she held out her mug to me. The coffee was bitter, like the feeling I already had about being woken up for no good reason.

"Agents," she said quickly, as though we should have known. "You know Mark used to be a male model? It helped him pay for law school!"

"Jeez really?" Bodhi laughed.

"It's cool!" She retorted. "Plus, I need a job, like, stat."

"And do you think they'd hire you?" I asked supportively.

"I have a meeting today, with test shots."

"God goes to one party and has the beginnings of a career," Bodhi said, shaking his head in disbelief.