Chapter 4

HOLY KANSAS IT'S AN UPDATE! Feeling pretty good about myself, updated two stories in one night. No need to tell me I'm awesome, I know HA! Anyway, thanks for your patience.  ENJOY! -DBR

I wiped the sweat from my forehead with the bottom of my t-shirt as I came to a walk. I fished my phone out of my pocket, making my way back to the apartment. I was only a few blocks away, just enough to give myself a cool down after my run. I had a missed text on my phone and swiped my finger across the screen never missing a step.

Allison: Advice. Sent: 8:12 a.m.

Me: With? Sent: 8:37 a.m.

Allison: I don't know what I'm doing. Sent: 8:39 a.m.

Me: ? Sent: 8:39 a.m.

Allison: I think I'm going to runaway. Sent: 8:40 a.m.

Me: Why would you do that? Sent: 8:41 a.m.

Allison: I hate it here. I'm alone. I want to go back home. Sent: 8:42 a.m.

Me: Change is always scary but I don't think you should runaway. Sent: 8:43 a.m.

Allison: Why? Jim can't even call himself my dad. Sent: 8:44 a.m.

Me: Sometimes people just need a little time to come around. Sent: 8:46 a.m.

Me: Give it another month. Sent: 8:46 a.m.

Allison didn't text me back but I wasn't expecting her to. She wasn't a dumb girl, she knew she should stay. Her dad was her last ditch effort before her mom gave up on her up. Maybe some country air would do her good. I flung the door open to our apartment, taking the stairs two at time. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and unlocked the door. I started stripping my clothes as I walked in, emptying my pockets out onto the kitchen counter.

"Pay?" I called, wiping some sweat with the back of my hand off of my forehead.

"In the bathroom." Her voice came out muffled.

I made my way to her, wrapping my arms around her waist as I kissed the top of her head. She was putting makeup on in the mirror, her duffle bag packed by the bathroom door.

"Are you almost ready?" I asked, not quite ready to release her.

She nodded her head, continuing to put her makeup on like I wasn't interfering with her ability to move. "Remember I'll be gone for three weeks but then I'm home for a week and then back on the road for a little while."

"I know." I said, taking a deep breath. The smell of her shampoo wafted up to meet my nose.

"Are you sure you're going to be fine while I'm gone?" She asked, spinning around in my arms.

She pushed up on her toes to give me a light peck on the lips. "Of course."

"I'm serious Luie." She cocked her head slightly to the side, her big brown eyes staring up at me.

I knew she was questioning my ability to function on my own. I didn't blame her but for the first time in my life I was pretty confidant in my ability to keep myself straight.

"I'm serious Payton." I teased her back. "I've got Ellie, Ron, Johnny, your aunt and uncle, and you're only going to be a phone call away and at the very worst a plane ticket away." I kissed her, "Don't be so worried."

She placed her hands on the back of my neck, her mascara tube still in her hand. "I can't help that I love you."

A smile cracked across my face, I would never get used to her telling me she loved me. "I'm glad you can't help it."