King Solomon's Seal

Adonis Pov

It's been months since that day at the beach. I've struggled through my classes and my pregnancy, but I managed. This isn't how I envisioned it though.

Zeus is growing up before my eyes and I can't wait until my very own taste of motherhood. Today, I'm leaving class to join my group of friends having an outdoor discussion.

They laugh at Aisha's jokes.

I spot a flower growing randomly and think about my dream. I close my eyes in the breeze. I let my mind wander to Ares. I wonder how he's doing and when he'll be back. I rub my belly. He'll be proud of me ... oh so proud.

I smile.

"Uh, Adonis?"

I snap out of it.

-

I decide to look into starting a self love foundation for people with poor self image. I want to help other people come to terms with their own insecurities.

I walk into my apartment and see Zeus coloring.

I kiss his forehead. "Hi, sweetie."

"Hi, Mommy Donis."

"How are you? Where's grandma?"

"Good. She's in the kitchen."

"Okay baby."

I walk into the kitchen. "Hi Mama."

"Hey baby."

"How you been?"

"I'm good. Naomi came by."

"What she wanted? " I said and bit into a banana.

Naomi came from out the bathroom. "Hey."

"What's up?"

"There's someone who wants to meet you."

"Who?"

The door bell rings. I answer it. "Oh my ..."

"Hi, I'm Ares' mother and I want to talk to you."

"Hello.." I look back at Naomi. "Come in."

"I'm Renee Douglas."

"Adonis."

"Right, I know a lot about you from Naomi."

I suck my teeth.

"Look, I would love to know more about and build a relationship with you and my grandchild."

"I think I'm the wrong person for that."

"Where's the baby?"

"Zeus isn't a baby."

Zeus runs around the corner. He stops to stare at Renee then takes off again.

Renee looks at my belly. "I'm a grandmother again? Where's Ares? You should let me plan your baby shower."

"Go find him. You abandoned your only son and had more kids. I have no respect for you. Naomi, escort her out my house."

"But..."

"Now!"

Renee leaves abruptly and Naomi follows. I shake my head. Naomi means well but I know I can't have a good relationship with Renee if Ares doesn't. Not yet.