"Did you know?" Jade closed the space between them and grabbed Jonathan's collar. "When we left that night, did you know that Karl had taken something?"

A wave of shame washed over Jonathan's features. "I suspected."

Jade shoved him to the ground and lorded over him, hands curling into fists. The fury rolled off of her and my own terror rose into my chest, making it hard to breathe. I had no clue how far Jade could take things or how much her blood called for revenge. I'd never been frightened of her before, but now she terrified me. Stepping from the shadows, I placed my body between them.

"You don't—"

Jade's sharp look silenced me. "This doesn't concern you, Perrie."

"Everything you do, everything you feel and endure concerns me," I said softly. "Don't chase the past, Jade. Let it go."

"Letting go is for mistakes. This wasn't a mistake, it was cold-blooded and cowardly." She pushed me away, crouching down so that her face was inches from Jonathan. "There is a time for forgiveness. This is not that time."

Jade gripped Jonathan's collar, dragging him to his feet. Jade released him only long enough to strike the first blow to his stomach. It caught Jonathan hard and he sucked at air he couldn't capture. But his response was immediate, his own fist flying to crack across Jade's left cheek. I fell back as they struggled, torn between crying for help and running. Jonathan was no match for Jade. Her hands closed over Jonathan's neck, who fought back, clawing at Jade, desperate for air. Jonathan's face clouded as his fingers slackened, dropping to Jade's chest.

"Enough!" The cry ripped through me, and I threw myself against Jade. It wasn't much of a fight, but it was enough to make her lose grip.

Jonathan stumbled back. Gasping and sputtering, he collapsed to his knees.

"Not like this," I pleaded with Jade. "He isn't worth it."

"My brother was worth it," She growled. "But you're right. This piece of shit isn't." She rounded on Jonathan.

"Get the fuck out. I never want to see your face again."

I clutched Jade, restraining her the best I could while whispering soothingly to her. It had no effect. Her body remained rigid and on edge even as Jonathan got to his feet and staggered to the gate.

Jonathan paused and turned to face Jade, his knuckles white as he gripped the latch. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry."

Jade didn't look at him, but her response sent a chill racing down my spine. "It's worth very little."

Some things could be forgiven. Some mistakes left in the past. This could never be forgotten. It would never be forgiven. Jonathan seemed to sense this, his eyes closing briefly, before he left the gate swinging behind him.

I entwined my arm around Jade's, encouraging her toward the door, but she didn't move. She wrenched away, picked up the bags that lay scattered across the path and walked inside. I let the silence of the night envelop me, finding cold comfort in the contours of branches and the outlines of houses. Nothing felt real, as though the world had been erased down to the barest sketch, leaving me to exist in the shades of murky gray it cast.

This wasn't something I could fix. Jonathan's mistake couldn't simply be shrugged off. It had shattered too many lives and its revelation had only reopened the wounds Jade carried within herself. I could only love her through it, leading the way through the darkness that had been cast over us once more.

Lauren came to the gate, drawing a surprised gasp from my lips. "Where were you? She almost...she almost..."

My emotions overwhelmed me and I fought hard against the tears threatening to spill over. How many times could I cry tonight? Things weren't a mess. This went above that. Jade's mother wouldn't stop until she'd forced Jade and me apart. With each passing second, the world cast more judgement upon her. How long before she cracked? How long before the past broke our love again?