Chapter 3

[not edited]

~ Perrie's Pov ~

The pub down the street was packed with the late night crowd. As soon as we were through the door, Jesy grabbed my arm and dragged me to two barstools that had just opened up. We slid onto them seconds before a group reached them. One of the girls glared at us, but Jesy raised an eyebrow and smiled smugly.

"You're such a bitch," I called to her over the crowded room.

Jesy winked at me as she waved for the bartender. "I take what I want."

"It reminds me of Jade," I admitted, tapping my fingers on a coaster. She took what she wanted as well. Although she'd shown surprising restraint the last few months. I, on the other hand, was always hesitating. Could I take what I wanted, too?

Of course, I would have to figure out what I wanted first.

"Uh-uh." Jesy wagged a finger at me and slid a cocktail in front of me. "No thinking. Not for the next few hours. I demand you have a good night."

I didn't bother to tell her that reminded me of Jade, too. Instead, I raised my tumbler and tapped it to hers before taking a long swig. It burned down my throat and I coughed, caught off-guard by its strength. "What is this?"

"Bourbon." Jesy's lips curved wickedly behind her glass.

"And?"

"And what?" she asked. "It's bourbon. I knew that the only way to get you to let go is with a high alcohol content."

"In me or the liquor?" I sipped tentatively at the amber-colored liquid.

"Both." She finished off hers with one long swallow, grimacing for a split second before slamming the glass back down on the bar. "Damn!"

I followed her lead, barely managing to down mine. I shook my head, feeling as if I were breathing fire. "Which one is going to be the responsible one tonight?"

She winked at me. "With any luck, neither of us!"

I watched as she ordered two more shots, wondering if I would be calling in sick to work tomorrow. At the rate she had us going, I would be. "I'm not sure Jake will appreciate it if I let you get trashed in a pub."

"Getting pissed in a pub is a long and proud English tradition," she reminded me, shoving another drink in my hands, "and Jake is all about tradition. Drink up!"

I held up my free hand as I took another swig. "Are we in a hurry?"

"I want to dance, and by my calculations you need to finish that and one more before you become pliable enough for my liking."

"Scandalous!" I clutched my hand to my chest, laughter bubbling into my throat. "Are you trying to get me drunk?"

"That is exactly what I'm trying to do," she said, gesturing for one more round. "I want to dance."

"This doesn't exactly seem like a dancing crowd," I pointed out as I drained my cup. The bourbon was already working its magic, loosening my limbs and heating my belly.

"Not here," she said in exasperation. "We'll have to go to a club."

The thought of going to a club made my head spin, and I gripped her wrist. "Anywhere but Brimstone."

Jesy raised an eyebrow and waited expectantly.

"Bad memories," I said. I left it at that. Surely Jesy remembered that the only time I'd been there had been with Jade.