Chapter 18

*Perrie's Pov *

Jade's side of the bed was empty when I awoke. I stretched, noting the delicious ache of my muscles. She'd taken me to the edge and bound me there, teasing and torturing, and my body remembered. The sunlight glinted off the silk rope that still hung in place near the foot of the bed. Sliding from under the covers, I padded barefoot to it and ran my fingers down its length. It was smooth and coarse. Binding and liberating. Wrapping it around my wrist, I replayed the scene from last night. The memories came in staccato bursts of pleasure then agony and finally exquisite release.

By the time I discovered Jade sitting by the hearth of the great room, my body was practically vibrating with desire. I lingered, shyly, This women, this goddess was mine. The reality of that remained elusive, only becoming palpable through contact. I could not comprehend how out of the billions of people in the world, we had found one another. I stayed there for a long time, watching the sunlight dance across her beautiful hair until the pull of her presence lured me forward. It was then I realised we were bonded. Magnetically. Irresistibly. In a sea of people, I would always find her. We'd been brought together by an undeniable force that day at the club. Every moment in my life, every decision and mistake I'd made, had been carrying me toward her.

Jade turned, her face obscured by darkness, and reached for me. I flew to her. Settling in her lap, I drew my legs up as she wrapped her arms around me.

"Couldn't sleep?" I asked.

She tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and kissed me. "I didn't want to wake you. I apologise for leaving you alone."

"No apology necessary. I think you screwed me into a coma." I traced the curve of her jaw.

"I should have checked on you." Jade shook her head, a familiar look of self-loathing flitting across her features. "You shouldn't be left alone."

"I'm fine," I said with emphasis. I hated when she questioned herself. There never seemed to be a way to convince her that I was as enthralled as she was. "Look at me, Jade. I'm happy. Truly. You make me happy."

"I try." Her expression was pained and it tore through me.

"If you don't stop pouting, I'll have to spank you," I warned Jade.
Her hand slid to cup my behind and she smiled, albeit grudgingly. "That is my job, love."

"Then maybe you should get to work," I murmured, but the low growl of my stomach interrupted my attempt at seduction. Stupid bodily needs.

"I think I better feed you first," Jade said with a low chuckle.

I willed myself to stand up and we made our way to the kitchen. Jade opened the refrigerator and drew out a bottle of milk. Within moments she had eggs and toast cooking. But her heavy mood remained, casting an unwanted shadow over the morning.

"You are seriously killing my buzz," I informed her, pushing myself onto the counter to watch her cook.

"We skipped dinner. That's unacceptable."

"I'm not going to break," I told her in a quiet voice. "I'm healthy, Jade. One meal isn't going to be my undoing."

"Still..." She let the thought trail away as she shoved a spatula through the skillet.

We lapsed into silence until she presented me with a full plate. Despite my best intentions, my hunger won out and I shovelled them down greedily, pleased to see a smile creep onto her lips. Jade needed to take care of me and I needed to be more open to that. Like most things, it would take time to accept that her concern wasn't a sign of perceived weakness on my part.