A Paradox of Our Minds

It's been years since Liu and Jeff went missing. All you really remember were the news articles, the news channel and news radio station in your home town talking about it. Both the boys went missing and their parents were murdered.

Rumors around school were saying both Jeff and Liu killed them and ran away. Other rumors said that they were kidnapped. This was a cold case that was never solved.

It almost made you sick thinking about how you went to school with them for a while, and had met them before all that happened. Anyway, years have gone by and you've moved on with your life. You hardly thought about them anymore.

It's Friday night. Halloween weekend. You had plans to go out to some bar or club. You dressed your best, wearing your favorite sexy outfit and dolling up your face and hair to your liking that made you feel good. Since the club you were going to, XOXOX, was having a costume party, you also incorporated a mask. (What kind of mask are you gon wear?) This mask at least covered your face enough to hide your identity.

Going out wasn't a weekly weekend event. You only did it when you felt like you needed to get out a bit more. Sometimes it was fun, you would meet the occasional fun girls or queer people that you'd sometimes keep in touch with. Other days it was a waist of time. You'd meet the common pervert that never took the obvious hint that you just weren't into them. Mostly they were men, but surprisingly some women did it too. They were worse, only because you'd never expect them to do it.

And of course, sometimes you just wanted to find a hook-up. Tonight was one of those nights.

Your phone starts to buzz on your desk. It was your friend, Jen. You answer the call and hear a loud crowd and music before they start to speak.

"Hey, where are you?" they ask, nearly yelling through the phone.

"I'm on my way! Be patient!" you laugh.

"I'm lonely. I need my dance buddy! Plus, there's a lot of cute guys here!"

You roll your eyes and smile,

"Yeah, yeah whatever. I'm heading over now. Love you, bye!"

"Love you! Bye! bye, bye, bye!"

You hang up the phone.

You drove to the destination. It was dark outside and raining. Wasn't too bad.

The club is roaring with laughter and conversation along with the bass boost from outside the club.

You get to the door and show the bouncer your I.D. taking off your mask so he can confirm it.

You get in and look around for Jen. You see them in the distance dancing with their fiancé. You could tell they've already had more than enough drinks. This was suppose to be a fun night out, but you already felt like going home.

You sigh and sit at the bar.

"I'll be right with you," Says the bartender.

"No problem." You start looking at the art deco they had up. Black and white pictures of old Hollywood actors and actresses with a bright pink neon sign that read in cursive "Heavens Night" You scoff at it and rest your chin on your fist.

"Heavens Night, huh? Sounds like this is suppose to be a strip club." an old raspy voice spoke. You look to where it was coming from, and on your left sat a man in all black, wearing a large dark hood. He was facing forward and away from you, so you couldn't see his face.

"Haha, yeah I guess so." You reply.

The bartender walks over to you,

"Hey, babe. Are we having fun tonight?" they ask, resting both their palms on the counter.